🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract paused by upwork
Page options
h_parashar
Community Member

Contract On Hold

I am new to Upwork. Just two hours after I got offered this contract it's being put on hold.
I wanted to knw whether client has paused the contract or it's because clients account is suspended. I can see suspended written in contract page. Not sure if that means suspended client or suspended contract.

Thanks and Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ronnie,

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

• Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

Update: 

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

509 REPLIES 509

Hi Remilekun,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
fa73f08d
Community Member

This client I started working has his account suspended. I had submitted the work and was about to log in the hours; manual time logging was allowed. But then, I couldn't log hours because his account got suspended. Is there any way Upwork can help me get paid as I messaged him about the payment but he did not reply. Could Upwork email him to finish up on my payment?

Mwanahamisi,

Please click the Support button on the bottom right of the screen. Have a great day!

Hi Mwanahamisi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.

Also note that for hourly contracts, hours that you billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for payment protection. You may want to check this help article to learn more.

~ AJ
Upwork
6e1cd3db
Community Member

My Upwork account is suspended becuase of my client's reason. He gave me contract and ran away. Upwork paused the contract and now my profile is suspended.

Hi Muhammad Waqas,

I've checked and can confirm that there's no restriction on your account. It looks like you've already communicated with the team about your concern via support ticket and they've given you an update with more information as well. Feel free to access your tickets on this page and coordinate with the team if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
michelleannosico
Community Member

Hi Upwork, 

I have a fixed-contract that started last week and client just been adding milestones if there are new tasks to be done. Yesterday, client updated the contract and set a new milestone but received an email from Upwork saying contract is on hold. 

I'm wondering if it's on the client's side that is the problem or is it on my end? If it's on the client's end, can I notify the client about the problem so he can take necessary steps to have it resolved? 

This is the first time this happened so I'm trying to gain insights. Thank you!

Hi Michelle Anne,

I've checked and I can see a contract that's been paused by your client. Please note that clients can also pause contracts any time they want to put work on hold. They may need to do this for many reasons. This pause prevents you from logging time on the contract until the client is ready to start again. In most cases, they’ll message you to explain why they paused the contract and when they plan to restart it. If you don’t hear from the client, you can contact them to ask why they paused the contract and when they plan to restart.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay, thank you for the prompt response. I think that isn't the contract I'm referring to. I have a paused hourly contract by the client which this one I fully understand since there's no tasks needed to be done. 

The contract I was referring to is the fixed price one (my only active fixed-contract) which was put on hold by Upwork. I hope that is much clearer. 

Thank you again.

Thank you for clarifying this Michelle Anne,

However, I took a closer look at your account and I can see two active Fixed-Price contracts. For future reference, If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

You should stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more. I hope this helps.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you, Arjay. I will wait for the client's feedback about this as I already reached out to him. 

Appreciate the response!

victoria_ma
Community Member

Hi 

I've been working on a contract for over 2 years and all of a sudden it's on hold and being investigated and I'm not sure why. Any ideas anyone? Thanks 🙏 

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear about the sudden hold on your contract. Please note that If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

You should stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
arifzilane
Community Member

I don't know why the investigation is over 6 months! I've got nothing update from Upwork. What should I do?

Wait. You cannot do anything. Or close contract and forgot.

6 months? Move on. He def has.

Hi Ariful,

If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

In addition to other members' opinions/suggestions, you can get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8052c915
Community Member

I can't continue my work due to contract paused by upwork. Pls, what can I do about this so that my contract can commence ASAP. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Augustine, 

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. I have checked the account and would like to assure you that your client is already in correspondence with our team about their support ticket.

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check this article.

~ Avery
Upwork
8052c915
Community Member

Hello Avery O, Upwork Team, 

How long would it take for this paused case to be resolved, I have waiting for some days now. How soon will this be resolved? 

I appreciate your response. 

Hi Augustine,

I'm afraid we're unable to disclose when would the issue with your client's account be resolved. As previously mentioned, we can't share the specifics of the issue in question for privacy reasons. Only resume working on the contract once you see that the hold is lifted. Feel free to visit the help article Avery shared earlier if you'd like to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
nahidhasan771
Community Member

Hello‚

I worked with a client a few months ago the job was successfully completed and he paid me. But the contract was not closed. I went to close the contract today and found that Upwork is investigating the client's account and he has been suspended and I was told by Upwork "please do not resume work until the contract is active again". I don't know why he was suspended. However‚ my question is that I can not close the contract? Because the job is done and he paid me.

Thanks 

Hi Nahid Hasan,

However, since you're all set with this contract. You still have the option to End the Contract by following these steps:

1. Go to My Jobs
  2. Click the contract's title
  3. Select the (...) options menu
  4. Click End contract

Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you so much 

a_satoshi
Community Member

Hi there!

A client contacted and asked me to urgently finish a job. He set up an hourly contract. Then, I used Time Tracker and took 3 hours to finish it.

The next day, he asked me another urgent job. I was outside without my laptop. We agree to add manually my working time later. So I finished it with my phone. When I came back home, I was not able to add the time because my clients was suspended.

If anybody here has a similar experience, I'd like to have your advice.

1.  Can I get paid for the finished work recorded with Time Tracker?

2. How can I manually add my working time and get paid after my client is sddenly suspended? 

Thank you in advance! 

I found answers on my own.

1. Yes. I can get paid if I'm qualified wih Hourly Payment Protection (https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068288-Hourly-Payment-Protection).
I think I'm qualified but I'm not sure whether I can get paid as the normal payment.

2. No. Working hours added manualy is not protected. ☹️ From this lesson, I learned that  you shoudn't accept/use Manual Time option. I hope the client is honest and fix the issue and pay me. 

If your Client is a recurring user of Upwork, the Client either is a manipulator OR his bank card simply expired or something totally explainable. "Urgent" requests are sometimes a red flag.

I have observed in my working with client that if you explain them that you are going to add manual hours than they normally approve the hours. I have faced this issue with upwork desktop app and informed client. 

I will suggest, best way is to message the client the discussion you had and add the hours once client account is restored. I agree that urgent request that too when you are not carrying your laptop looks slightly strange.

You got scammed. Hopefully what you were asked to do wasn't fraud or you won't get paid for the tracked time either. When a client tells you to enter manual time, you should avoid it because he is scamming you. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths