🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract On Hold
Page options
h_parashar
Member

Contract On Hold

I am new to Upwork. Just two hours after I got offered this contract it's being put on hold.
I wanted to knw whether client has paused the contract or it's because clients account is suspended. I can see suspended written in contract page. Not sure if that means suspended client or suspended contract.

Thanks and Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ronnie,

 

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

 

  • Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.


You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

415 REPLIES 415
petra_r
Member


Hemant P wrote:
I am new to Upwork. Just two hours after I got offered this contract it's being put on hold.
I wanted to knw whether client has paused the contract or it's because clients account is suspended. .

If the client paused it, it would say Paused, not Suspended. Upwork suspended it. When it happens Friday morning UTC it is usually because the client didn't pay Upwork for last week's hours. It'll be resolved as soon as the client pays up.

 


Hemant P wrote:
Not sure if that means suspended client or suspended contract.

Both, until the issue is resolved.

Thank You for the reply. Although its showing same status since Wednesday.


Hemant P wrote:
Thank You for the reply. Although its showing same status since Wednesday.

That means that the client hasn't resolved the issue, whatever it is.

tinker_bell3
Moderator
Moderator

Hi Hemant,

 

I checked the contract you're referring to and it looks like the team has already reached out to your client regarding this issue. The team will continue to assist your client directly to get this resolved as soon as possible. In the meantime, please do not continue working on the contract. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for letting me know this. Hope it resolves soon.

Thank you Petra for your responses too. This community is very helpful.
belloroberto
Member

Hello guys, This week I worked with a client. I have worked for about 30 hours, but now the system says that the contract is suspended.

 

I talked to one of his employees and she said that she is aware of the problem, but now the person that hired me said something completely different, and I think is a fraud.

 

It is an hourly contract and is a verified client, I used the time tracker according to upwork rules, so basically, I want to know if I'll be paid for my job. 

Hi Roberto,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
nurulislam35
Member

Hi 

I got a message that your Contracts on hold, what should I do?
What is the reason behind it?

The client sent me a message to deliver the project and the client working to sort out the issue with Upwork.

If a contract that's on-hold will affect my job success score or any negative impact.?

 

Thanks 

Nurul


Nurul I wrote:

I got a message that your Contracts on hold, what should I do?


Wait until the client fixes it.

 


Nurul I wrote:

What is the reason behind it?l


There is an issue with the client's account or payment method. The client needs to resolve that issue with Upwork. Upwork will not discuss your client's account with anyone else, including yourself.

 


Nurul I wrote:

If a contract that's on-hold will affect my job success score or any negative impact.?


No.

Is it an hourly contract or fixed rate?

Hello Petra 

Thanks for your nice cooperation.

It is a fixed rate project. 

Thanks 

 


Nurul I wrote:

 

It is a fixed rate project. 


If the work is done for the current milstone, there is no reason not to submit it for payment.

Yes, I'm thinking the same. 

Already deliver the project. 

f6d0c22d
Member

I started working with a client Monday, tracked my hours and my work using the time tracking app, and later that day I've come to find out the contract is on hold. I got in touch with my client and they're saying they're trying to reach out to support to get this resolved and still nothing. And now I'm not hearing anything back from my client. Can anyone tell me why is this happening?

Only UW knows and they will not tell anyone but the client. It could be the client's credit card expired or there is some other hiccup that needs to be resolved. It could be the client was discovered using a credit card that does not belong to them or committing some other transgression. There's nothing you can do but sit tight and hopefully the client will get it resolved before the project timeline gets fouled up.

 

jazkh
Member

Hello,

Today, I have recieved an e-mail that the fixed rate project which was approved by the client is now currently on hold.
Why did this happen? I worked on a project, submitted, client approved. Now the status shows suspended?

Please help.


g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jahanzeb,

 

The hold on your contract was placed due to a problem on your client's end. Once their problem is resolved, the hold will be removed and you will receive an email notification as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Can you please tell me what is the issue on client's end? So I can contact him and sort it out. 

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jahanzeb,

 

Please keep in mind that we can't share details for another user with you. However, I can confirm that our team has already reached out to your client to assist them further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

So if the issue is not resolved between Upwork and Client. What will happen to the work I did for him?
What about my payment?

 

Why this contract is on hold after submitting and accepting by the client? Why freelancer has to survive?

Please let me know what happens if things doesn't go well between Upwork and Client since the amount was already funded in Escrow and released.

Hi Upwork,

 

I got an email that my contract on hold due to an issue with the contract can i know what's the issues and what about all the hours I have worked as I was about to get paid i don't understand what's this.

Hi Hamza and Micheal,

 

If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

 

Note that hours billed prior to the contract being paused are still eligible for Payment Protection.  You should stop working on the contract and get in touch with your client to know when the contract could resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

 

Micheal, I can see that you have a support ticket with the team and you may refer to it for more information.

 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Please, my client account was placed on hold after completing his job and he approved my payment already which has lead to limitations of my financial transaction. Please, what can I do about this, as the only message I got is that they are investing client.
I need fund. Help me on what to do.


Micheal A wrote:
Please, my client account was placed on hold after completing his job and he approved my payment already.

I hope you didn't actually buy any gift cards for that client.... 

Thanks and I got your point but can you please explain why my earnings are gone from the trsnsactions history it was mentioned that it will be available on 11th august and now in transaction history it has disappeared what is this going on.

Hi Hamza,

 

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your contract. Thank you.

 

 

~ Goran
Upwork

I have a second project with the same client who bought my project from the project catalog. I clearly told him it can take time as I'm out of town busy with family. He said he can wait 2 more days after the due date if the work submitted is of good quality. The project was supposed to be submitted today as per the deadline according to upwork and now got an email and notification that the project is suspended because the contract is on hold.

Can someone please help? The payment is in milestone already created. I'm not sure what to do..

Hi Yasir,

 

When a contract is paused it means that there is a problem with your client's Upwork account. It would be best for you to stop working immediately and get in touch with your client to know when the contract would resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that he was ready to wait. Plus he already funded the project. I got a notification of contract hold a few hours after the due date. Why?

Hi Yasir,

 

It's recommended that you stop working on the contract while it is on hold, despite it being funded. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

 

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
rishabhb2016
Member

Please can someone check why my current contract is suspended with my employer? What is the reason for the same and by when can I expect it to be back up soon

If any contract gets suspended by Upwork, it means it is under review and you must not begin the work until everything clears up by the team. However, It usually takes up to 12 hours to fix the problem and resume the contract. In other ways, you can contact support for a quick response. It could be a payment issue, so no need to rush, just wait until Upwork gets back to you. 

 

 Best of luck. 


Kashaf S wrote:

If any contract gets suspended by Upwork, it means it is under review and you must not begin the work until everything clears up by the team. However, It usually takes up to 12 hours to fix the problem and resume the contract. In other ways, you can contact support for a quick response. It could be a payment issue, so no need to rush, just wait until Upwork gets back to you. 

 

 Best of luck. 


No, suspended means suspended and under review means under review. If a contract has been suspended by Upwork the client might have been suspended as well. The contract probably violated the ToS.

What you are describing is on hold which means that the client has to sort out something. That could be a credit card which needs to be replaced and can be solved easily.

No need to contact CS because they cannot share any information with you and it only generates costs we all have to pay for. If the problem has not been solved by the time you need to get started in order to meet the deadline, you can send ONE message to the client but noone else and really only once, no spamming please.

Hi all,

 

I just finished a job for a client which had two milestones. The first milestone was paid and is now in my 'available' earnings. The second was paid at the weekend and remains 'pending.' I've had a notification telling me that the contract for this job is 'on hold', and the client's profile states that he is 'suspended.' 

 

Will the monies currently 'pending' still become 'available' to me after the five day holding period, or will that payment be suspended for the duration of Upwork's investigation?

 

Many thanks,

RR.

Hi Ronnie,

 

There are two reasons why your contract may be paused:

 

  • Your client has decided to pause your Hourly Contract: If no work needs to be done at the moment, clients can temporarily and immediately pause a contract. This prevents hours from being logged on the contract, without the need to end it, until you are ready to proceed with the next part of the project. 
  • There is a problem with your client’s Upwork account: In this case, your contracts with them will be paused automatically and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns.


You can check out this help article to learn some tips on what you can do if your contract is paused.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea,

 

Are you able to advise if my currently 'pending' earnings (funds that the client has paid to me and are in the holding period) or will those monies not be released from 'pending' until the investigation has concluded?

Hi Ronnie,

 

This depends on what the issue with your client's account is, and we're not able to discuss any details of your client's account because of privacy reasons. I would advise you to contact your client directly to address the situation.

 

~Andrea
Upwork

Hey Andrea. I've got a similar problem on my client account.

 

Just made an offer but the person I'm trying to hire can't accept because "my account is temporarily on hold"

 

Didn't get any notification of that either. Only the screenshot he sent me.

 

And I can't seem to find a way to fix it. Or even know what I did wrong.

 

Can you pls help rectify

Hi Ekene,

 

Thank you for your message. I checked and I see that your card is in declined status. Please contact your card issuing bank to check the available limit on your card and permissions to initiate international transactions. You can also try again using a different payment method.

 

Thank you,

Pradeep


Upwork
Upcoming Events
Dec 13
Succeeding with Clients Talent Toolbox
Dec 21
Virtual Community Hour Community Hour