🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract Paused After Work Delivered but BEFO...
Page options
8e1d39a8
Community Member

Contract Paused After Work Delivered but BEFORE they Paid. HELP!!!

A client hired me to do some artwork for their educational website.  The client asked for quite a decent amount of work, which I delivered on time.  They then paused the contract before paying for said work.  It has been months now and I realize I ma nver getting paid, however, I feel that there should be some consequence on the client side for this.  I want to cancel the job but am afraid that they will leave me negavtive feedback, solely out of spite.

He initally paid for my first round of work, we had a zoom meeting wiht his team where they provided some feedback, I was very clear that they would be charged for the revisions as the intial was just very rough concepts.  They agreed. I delivered and like I said, the client paused the contract.

I have sent several polite messages reminding the client that they have still not paid for the work that was delivered.  Just looking for a bit of advice.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jonathan: A client may pause a contract AT ANY TIME.

Pausing a contract has nothing to do with getting paid.

As a freelancer, I get paid based on the time that I log while working.

If a client pauses a contract, it doesn't matter.

You should familiarize yourself with the Weekly Billing Cycle.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

re: "A client hired me to do some artwork for their educational website."

Cool!

re: "The client asked for quite a decent amount of work, which I delivered on time. They then paused the contract before paying for said work."

That's fine.

It doesn't matter if a client pauses a contract, because I get paid AUTOMATICALLY for the work that I do.

re" "It has been months now and I realize I may never getting paid"

It has been months now?
That means that you used Upwork incorrectly.

This is your mistake, not the client's.

If I do any work on Upwork, then the longest possible period of time it will take for the payment for that work to be in my bank account is 3 weeks.

re: "I feel that there should be some consequence on the client side for this."

But this was your mistake, not the client's.

The important thing is for you to learn what you did wrong, and not make the same mistake in the future.

re: "I want to cancel the job but am afraid that they will leave me negavtive feedback, solely out of spite."

Then don't close the contract.

But as a practical matter, it sounds like the client has no reason to have spite toward you.

My advice: Close the contract IMMEDIATELY. Do NOT communicate with the client any more.

re: "I have sent several polite messages reminding the client that they have still not paid for the work that was delivered. Just looking for a bit of advice."

Stop trying to communicate with that client. Stop trying to get money from that client. Focus on yourself.

Take this seriously. Internalize the fact that you didn't get paid because of the mistakes that you made. That means YOU HAVE THE POWER. Other people don't have power over you. You have the power to control your own fate.

If you don't understand completelyl what you did wrong, then continue asking questions here in this thread until you understand.

lysis10
Community Member

I just got done with a dispute for a client who tried this with me. It was a very cute and precious attempt, but I'm too smart to work for free on a paused contract. teeheeeee

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members