🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract Suspended And Unresponsive Client
Page options
flaneusebleue
Community Member

Contract Suspended And Unresponsive Client

Hi! Recently I got a notification that my contract with a client was suspended and I wrote to the client, but it's been too long that she is unresponsive. I've also noticed that she has 0$ spent so far and has already 5 people hired which are logging hours on their work. I don't know how this is possible, luckily Upwork suspended my contract while I was 20m into the job. I want to end my contract with this client, I'd much rather work on something more stable and secure, so my question is would this affect my Job Success Score and my Top Rated status because I have been working hard to keep it? I'd be grateful if someone from the Upwork team can answer and take care of this because I don't want to lose my rating here.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Marija S wrote:

Hi! Recently I got a notification that my contract with a client was suspended and I wrote to the client, but it's been too long that she is unresponsive. I've also noticed that she has 0$ spent so far and has already 5 people hired which are logging hours on their work. I don't know how this is possible, luckily Upwork suspended my contract while I was 20m into the job. I want to end my contract with this client, I'd much rather work on something more stable and secure, so my question is would this affect my Job Success Score and my Top Rated status?

No, it will not affect your JSs: The client is suspended, probably becauseof some scam.

You logged 20 minutes, so it does not create a "nothing paid" contract anyway.

Muhammad H wrote:

Normally this happened when a client has some issue with payments. Closing contract by your own will effect a bit on JSS.

No. It will not.

1) As long as money was, at some point, paid, such contracts have no effect on the JSS.

2) Contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS calculation.

Muhammad H wrote:

It's recommended to wait for some time.

There is no point in waiting from a JSS point of view at all.

Muhammad H wrote:

Hi Marija,

. Inactive contracts do not effect for 3 months. 

Wrong. Inactive contracts where money was paid do not affect the JSS at all. Inactive contracts where no money was (ever) paid affect the JSS earlier than 3 months. And again, the client is suspended so closing or leaving it open makes no difference anyway because the contract is excluded.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
optimist178
Community Member

Hi Marija,

Normally this happened when a client has some issue with payments. Closing contract by your own will effect a bit on JSS. It's recommended to wait for some time. Inactive contracts do not effect for 3 months. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Marija S wrote:

Hi! Recently I got a notification that my contract with a client was suspended and I wrote to the client, but it's been too long that she is unresponsive. I've also noticed that she has 0$ spent so far and has already 5 people hired which are logging hours on their work. I don't know how this is possible, luckily Upwork suspended my contract while I was 20m into the job. I want to end my contract with this client, I'd much rather work on something more stable and secure, so my question is would this affect my Job Success Score and my Top Rated status because I have been working hard to keep it? I'd be grateful if someone from the Upwork team can answer and take care of this because I don't want to lose my rating here.

It is quite possible that 5 people work on hourly contracts and no money has been billed yet, as this is done at the end of the week. I assume you too have an hourly contract, and if you bill your 20 minutes it's not a no payment contract, and will not have a bad effect on your JSS. When you end the contract, your client can still give you any feedback he feels fit. So best is to end this in a very professional manner as to not elicit negative feedback. 

If the client has some short-term problem with his credit card, that alone would not deter me.

Hi Martina. Thank you for your reply, but it's bothering me that she is not noticing me about anything nor replying to any of my messages. This is really unprofessional and I wouldn't like to have her as a client though I am going to end the contract very professional I'm afraid she might for some reason leave me bad feedback though she hasn't been online since this happened and before she was online constantly.

petra_r
Community Member

Marija S wrote:

Hi! Recently I got a notification that my contract with a client was suspended and I wrote to the client, but it's been too long that she is unresponsive. I've also noticed that she has 0$ spent so far and has already 5 people hired which are logging hours on their work. I don't know how this is possible, luckily Upwork suspended my contract while I was 20m into the job. I want to end my contract with this client, I'd much rather work on something more stable and secure, so my question is would this affect my Job Success Score and my Top Rated status?

No, it will not affect your JSs: The client is suspended, probably becauseof some scam.

You logged 20 minutes, so it does not create a "nothing paid" contract anyway.

Muhammad H wrote:

Normally this happened when a client has some issue with payments. Closing contract by your own will effect a bit on JSS.

No. It will not.

1) As long as money was, at some point, paid, such contracts have no effect on the JSS.

2) Contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS calculation.

Muhammad H wrote:

It's recommended to wait for some time.

There is no point in waiting from a JSS point of view at all.

Muhammad H wrote:

Hi Marija,

. Inactive contracts do not effect for 3 months. 

Wrong. Inactive contracts where money was paid do not affect the JSS at all. Inactive contracts where no money was (ever) paid affect the JSS earlier than 3 months. And again, the client is suspended so closing or leaving it open makes no difference anyway because the contract is excluded.

Thank you, Petra R! This helped, I'll close the contract.

Marija S wrote:

Thank you, Petra R! This helped, I'll close the contract.

I would leave at least (!) a week between the last time you tried to contact the client before ending the contract, because there is still some chance that there is some genuine reason.

Okay, will do! :))

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths