🐈 Community
martinceisel

Contract Suspended—Message Client?

I recently had a contract suspended (client's payment method unverified). It is an hourly contract, communication was good (didn't seem like a scam or anything). I'm wondering, on the off chance that this gets sorted out and we continue working together, if it makes sense to touch base with the client. Or is it totally hands-off until the suspension is sorted out?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r

You are welcome to communicate with the client, just make sure you don't do any work until it is resolved.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r

You are welcome to communicate with the client, just make sure you don't do any work until it is resolved.

lysis10

at this point, you're not getting paid unless you used tracker and did all the fun stuff with tracking so it's in your best interest to say something

ninaenglish

Hello everyone,

I was just notified that my contract is suspended/on hold, but I had already submitted my work. My client had jobs successfully completed before by other freelancers so he doesn't seem like a scammer.

Should I do anything now? Or wait for Upwork to solve things.

Thanks!

Nina, it occasionally happens (and has happened to me in the past) where a long-term client's payment method suddenly becomes unverified. 

Firstly, do not carry on with any new work. Secondly, just drop the client a message, stating that you have received notification their payment has become unverified, would they please let you know when they have sorted this out so that you can continue on their project. 

If for some reason they don't verify their payment method - you at least did not spend your blood sweat and tears doing work for which you are not getting paid. If they DO verify it, then you have lost nothing and can carry on as normal without losing out on the deal.

Thanks Irene. Unfortunately I had already submitted the work prior to notification. But I'll give him a buzz and hope all will be ok Smiley Happy

Hi Nina,

Depending on the type of your contract, if your client had a verified payment method at the onset of your contract and you meet all the requirements for Upwork Payment Protection, you'll get paid for the work you submitted. Stop working on this contract, follow up with the client for an explanation and continue working with them only after the contract in question is resumed, through it or through any other contract.

Untitled

That's great to know Vladimir, thanks!
Just found that my contract has been reactivated Smiley Happy

@Nina S wrote:

That's great to know Vladimir, thanks!
Just found that my contract has been reactivated Smiley Happy

Do freelancers receive a notification when a contract is resumed? I assume so...

That's correct, Martin. Once the contract is resumed, freelancers will be notified.

Thanks, Joji.