🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract Suspended
Page options
elanjyoung
Community Member

Contract Suspended

Hi, I know this question has been asked before, but I'm trying to sort out why my contract with a client has been suspended and when/if it will be lifted. The client is asking me to do additional work, and I just have to keep putting them off because of this. I don't know if there's something on my end or theirs. Then today they said that everything was squared away, which made me think it was cleared up on their end, but my contract is still showing suspended. It's really confusing not be able to know what's exactly going on, and I'm desperately trying to figure out how to correct it to no avail. 

Elan

91 REPLIES 91

Hi Elcan,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, we are unable to discuss the details of another user's account with you for privacy reasons. We hope you understand. I did check and our team already reached out to your Client with more information about the contract. Please do not resume work with this client until the contract is active again.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

What about the payment for the work done already?

Hello Valeria,

Hope this message finds you well.
Wanted to inform you that my clients account has been suspended for payment verification purposes. The client **edited for Community Guidelines** said she already submitted all necessary forms and the accounted is still suspended. I have finished my work. I’m waiting for upwork so that I can bill the hours and send the file.

Thank you in advance,
Sarkis Khatcherian

Hi Sarkis, 

I checked your client's ticket, and can see that it is still open. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling her case so that they can get back to her with an update about her account. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you, waiting for your reply.
Appreciate all the help.
orifoucault
Community Member

Hello, 

I have a contract from a almost a year now, but sudenly the contract appears SUSPENDED and I see on my clients profile that he doesn't has a verified payment method, that would be the reason hes suspended? We need to solve this problem fast because my work is daily, 

Thank you, 

Orianna

Hi Orianna,

It seems there's an issue with your client's payment method.Please do not resume work with your client until the contract is active again. You may also communicate directly to your client so they can make necessary actions on his/her account.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
tlbp
Community Member

If the client doesn't pay, your work will be for nothing. Don't be in a hurry to resume work for a client who can't verify payment. And, if a client is lying about their ability to pay, they won't hesitate to also lie to you to get you to do the work. 

ckdelacruz
Community Member

Hello!

Currently my contract is on pause (suspended) but according to my client he fixed it 2 days ago and I updated him earlier that the contract is still paused and he said that it shouldn't be as he updated his payment method. He said that we will contact support later. Can someone check please?

thank you!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Charles Kerzey, 

I'll go ahead and check this with the team. If it's necessary, they will follow up directly with your client.

~ Avery
Upwork
bajs
Community Member

I have experienced this issue today.
Few hours ago I received notification that the contract with my long term client has been suspended.
I notified client right away, he then updated his credit card.
The Suspended notification is still present.
Is there anything else that needs to be done to solve this one?
Thanks.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sinisa,

I'm sorry to hear that about your contract. While we can't share any details, please ask your client to follow up on the notification they recently received and communicate with our team in order to resolve the issue with their account and resume your contract. Make sure to stop working on this contract and continue only after you can see that the contract has been resumed.

~ Bojan
Upwork
9707a24b
Community Member

Hello, I am a client and my hired freelancer told me that the contract is suspended. I am a new user, but I already filled everything, and in my account it doesn't appear that the contract is suspended. The payment method was accepted and I already made the deposit. Can you please check what's wrong? Contract ID: 21194817

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pedro,

I'm sorry to hear about your account status. Please check the last notification on your account which details what steps you should take to lift the hold on your account. You should be able to access the notification with this link. Let us know if you need any more assistance. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mateenpk
Community Member

My contract is suspended to. Any one tell me that how much time required to turn it on.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hafiz Mateen,

I'm sorry to hear about your contract status. While we can't share any details, please ask your client to follow up on the notification they recently received and communicate with our team in order to resolve the issue with their account and resume your contract. Make sure to stop working on this contract and continue only after you can see that the contract has been resumed.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
geritsidou-tanya
Community Member

Hello, I also have a client for whom I have completed the work and requested payment, and then the contract is marked as suspended. I am worried I may not get paid. What is happening? 

Tanya G wrote:

Hello, I also have a client for whom I have completed the work and requested payment, and then the contract is marked as suspended. I am worried I may not get paid. What is happening? 

It is always an issue on the client's side. Usually (but not always) an issue with either the client's payment method.

There is nothing you can do and Upwork will not tell you why the client's account is suspended, the client needs to fix this.

Usually it just means a payment didn't through or needs further verification, and usually it won't affect the money in Escrow for your payment.

The only time it might is in case of suspected fraudulent use of a payment method (stolen or hacked) or similar.

My contract with one of my clients was suspended yesterday. Since I've worked with this client for many hours I am worried I won't receive my weekly payment. Is this possible?

Lucilla S wrote:

My contract with one of my clients was suspended yesterday. Since I've worked with this client for many hours I am worried I won't receive my weekly payment. Is this possible?

Was your time logged properly with the tracker, and with meaningful work memos, and with adequate activity levels?

Sure, I've done what I usually do with all my clients and no ose has never complained.

Anyway,  the contract is on hold, not suspended. Sorry, my mistake.

this is more or less the email I've received from upwork

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Lucilla S wrote:

Sure, I've done what I usually do with all my clients and no ose has never complained.

Anyway,  the contract is on hold, not suspended.

Suspended / on hold = same thing

It does not matter if anyone has complained. If your client failed to payUpwork for your hours, then Upwork will only step in and pay you out of their own pocket if the hours qualify for protection. Otherwise they won't.

Hello, I completed and submitted work for my client and just few hours ago, I got a mail and a notification that the contract has been suspended. Am worried because of my payment and more so, my client has not come online since about a week making it impossible to chat him. I submitted the work since last Wednesday and I need to know if I will get paid. Thanks
christ0s
Community Member

My client's contract is showing suspende. I have completed the work for the 1st milestone and submitted it on deadline, which was accepted by the client. Then i started working on the 2nd milestone which i haven't submit yet. Will I get my payment for the 1st milestone since payment is being shown in escrow ? What about the work of the 2nd milestone i have already done?

Hi Christos,

Upon checking your account, I can see that you received the payment for the first milestone for the contract in question. As far as the second one is concerned, since the contract has been paused, I suggest that you stop working on the contract and try getting in touch with your client to find out when the contract can be resumed so that you can continue to work on the second milestone. Feel free to have a look at this help article for more information on paused contracts. 

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
irfanuddin56
Community Member

I have started a project with a client yesterday. Today morning I see the contract is suspended.

I don't know what happens. What could be the reason for that?

Hi Irfan,

I checked and it looks like our team is working to resolve this with your client. Please do not continue working on the project in the meantime. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
deedee15
Community Member

My contract with my current client was suspended. He said that it will be resolved soon and I can continue working on the project. The contract is still suspended up to this point. Should I continue to work on the project? What should I tell the client?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Daisy,

When a contract is paused it means that there's an issue with your client's account and you should stop working on the contract immediately. Any work completed during a contract pause is not covered by Upwork’s Payment Protection programs. Once you can see the hold is lifted, you may resume working with the client. Feel free to check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
08572adc
Community Member

Hi,

My client's contract is showing suspended but i have completed work and submitted on deadline. WillI get my payment since payment is being shown in escrow ? Contrat ID : 30601176

Regards,

Hi Mehmet,

Thank you for reaching out to us. If there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account or billing method, we’ll pause your contract with them. While the contract is paused, you won’t be able to bill that client and should stop any work on the project until the contract is resumed. We’ll let you know if we have paused one of your client’s contracts, and we’ll also let you know when we reactivate the contract. We can’t share the specifics regarding why the contract was paused, due to privacy concerns. You can find more information here

~ Nikola
Upwork
08572adc
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

Thank you for response.

I have an invoice that was issued before the contract was paused. Can't I get this payment?

Everything was normal until I completed and delivered the job and the customer released the payment.

Regards,

Mehmet

Hi Mehmet,

To help protect both you and your clients, we pause contracts in certain situations. I have checked your account and it looks like the payment was processed on your account before the contract was paused. Yes! You can still expect payment to reflect on your account. I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ad_ir
Community Member

Hi!

My contract with my client has been suspended too. Kindly assist with when will this suspension be lifted. Thank you.

Hi Apple Dianne,

If there is an issue with your client’s Upwork account, your contract with them will be paused and you will not be able to continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, though we cannot share the specifics regarding your client’s account due to privacy concerns. 

We advise that you wait for the hold on the contract to be lifted before taking any action or doing any additional work on the contract. For more information, please check out this help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f806e6fe
Community Member

Hi, my contract was suspended, may I know why and what should I do about it? 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

There is nothing for you to do, Andres. Only your client can fix this, whatever the problem may be.

Move on to other jobs and don't give this client or his project any thought until Upwork tells you his account/this project has been unsuspended. That could happen tomorrow....or never.

4353a3d9
Community Member

I got an hourly contract that got suspended this afternoon; my question is, will I get paid for the hours I have rendered (still in review and work in progress payments)? Can someone help me?

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your message. I understand your concern. I would like to clarify that your payment for the Hourly contracts is processed as per the weekly billing cycle. Your payment will be processed as long as we are able to successfully charge the Client's payment method. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
mehedi722
Community Member

Hello,

My account has been suspended.  But I don’t know why. I have verified my account recently.  Now I need to help.  How can will get my account back.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths