🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract and payment
Page options
8476aecc
Community Member

Contract and payment

Hi, I started yesterday so I'm new. I've already done a work for a client. Have 3 questions:

1) I didn't receive any contract

2) I haven't been paid

3) Is it normal to be paid in cryptomoney?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Emilie C wrote:

I contacted them via whatsapp so that was wrong?

Yes.

Emilie C wrote:

Am I risking anything for that? (I've already done the job for them)

Yes. Your Upwork account.

What's done now is done. From now onwards, make sure to not communicate with prospective clients outside of Upwork unless there's a contract in place. Also, be sure to not accept payment outside of Upwork in any form.

Anyways, why did you work for the client if there was no contract in place? Unfortunately, you will not get paid now.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
marc_compte
Community Member

No, no. It is not normal for a legitimate client. It is normal for scammers.

Don't start working until you have a contract and a milestone funded on escrow or an hourly contract with a verified payment method.

Don't contact prospective clients outside Upwork either. keep the communication inside Upwork until you get the contract, then you can use any channel of your convenience.

In general, read the ToS (https://www.upwork.com/legal). It will help you detect scammers and stay safe.

8476aecc
Community Member

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Thank you very much for the link also.

Emilie C wrote:

Yes.

Emilie C wrote:

Yes. Your Upwork account.

What's done now is done. From now onwards, make sure to not communicate with prospective clients outside of Upwork unless there's a contract in place. Also, be sure to not accept payment outside of Upwork in any form.

Anyways, why did you work for the client if there was no contract in place? Unfortunately, you will not get paid now.

I  worked because I received a message inviting me to contact them directly via whatsapp, I thought it was a normal process, what naive am I...

I think this will be a lesson for next times...

thank you all for your support.

If there is a next time. 

My advice: next time you see a swimming pool, check first for water before you jump. 

Or when you buy a carton of milk, take it to a chemist and have it analyzed to make sure it hasn't been posioned while sitting on the shelf in the store.

Yes of course please spare me your rotten jokes. I am here to find help not to be belittled

Before you insult more people, maybe check who the reply was for, ok? It could save you a lot of headache.

Thank you.

That wasn't a joke, nor was I belittling you.

Ahah do you think it is funny?

Do you think it was supposed to be funny?

I flag them as a sport, probably flagged about 50 with contact info

Let's try and make scam-flagging an Olympic sport.

And/or make Upwork compensate us for getting Carpal Tunnel.

Darn, do you try to get suspended? You are doing a real good job if that's your goal. 

Oh dear. 

eb035872
Community Member

GOOD day

Don't contact prospective clients outside Upwork either. keep the communication inside Upwork until you get the contract, then you can use any channel of your convenience.

Got it, thank you very much Joana

prestonhunter
Community Member

re; "Is it normal to be paid in cryptomoney?"

facepalm-alice-in-wonderland-meme-512x512.png

In some places, it's normal to be proposed though.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths