🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract cancellation
Page options
f22f5c82
Community Member

Contract cancellation

I had accepted a job contract from a customer and after additional evaluation, I came to conlusion that the job is impossible to do for the reasons not related to my skills but because the client asked for an impossible task(It conradicts the rules of the website where I'm supposed to publish the job and the client is aware of it.  can detail in PM). Can I cancel th job (and I'm not going to charge anything, of course) without consequences for my feedback and reviews. I'm a rather new freelancer and I'm afraid the client can retaliate and harm my success rate. I accepted it only 3 days ago. 

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

It'll hit your jss in a negative way. Just gotta suck it up I guess for 6 months when it drops off.

A zero-pay contract is a zero-pay contract.

The impact is the same whether you cancelled because the project is impossible or you cancelled because you decided to binge-watch "Friends" on Netflix.

8f30256c
Community Member

I canceled a job because a client wanted me to work without logging time. Still took a hit in my ratings. You gotta be really careful whom you take on... especially at the beginning.

Consider looking through their profiles to see how they've treated other people before you.

If you're their first client... be afraid.

If they don't have payment verified, be afraid (hourly protection won't apply).

If their requirements don't make sense, be afraid.

That is what I've learned.

kat303
Community Member

Vyacheslav B wrote:

I had accepted a job contract from a customer and after additional evaluation, I came to conlusion that the job is impossible to do for the reasons not related to my skills but because the client asked for an impossible task(It conradicts the rules of the website where I'm supposed to publish the job and the client is aware of it.  can detail in PM). Can I cancel th job (and I'm not going to charge anything, of course) without consequences for my feedback and reviews. I'm a rather new freelancer and I'm afraid the client can retaliate and harm my success rate. I accepted it only 3 days ago. 

---------------------

You can certainly cancel the job, but the damage is already done. Aside from perhaps getting a negative public and private feedback from the client of which the private negative feedback will affect your JSS and also a job with no money earned will negatively affect your JSS. 

Vyacheslav:

You have control over this. You don't ever need to be "victim" to something like this.

You made a tactical mistake by accepting a contract that you could not log at least ten minutes of time on.

Before actually accepting the job, you should have considered whether you could do any work on the project. And if you looked at the requirements or job description and saw that it was NOT possible to do the project, you should have never clicked the "Accept" button.

If you didn't know this ahead of time, but you accepted the job and then you did at least ten minutes of work on it, and only then did you learn that the project was impossible, you would explain this to the client, and stop working on the project. Any normal client is going to be appreciative because you saved him money and time, and he will give you good feedback.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members