🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract cancelled by freelancer
Page options
pianoholic
Community Member

Contract cancelled by freelancer

I have had a client which was an absolute nightmare.

Before hiring me, the communication was great. He asked for 2 mins of music similar to a song he shared. Once I accepted, he revealed he wanted 3 mins of music which was extremely tight for the deadline he had set. I went with it, had some long nights and after 27 hours of work, he said it was similar to the other and he didn't want it.

He admitted at this stage that he uses google translator(!) as his English is not good and asked me to rewrite a new song.

I have terminated the contract. My question is, what are my options?
I'm left unpaid, but the client can leave feedback which expectedly won't be positive. Is there an option not to leave feedback? Not only am I left unpaid after long hours, but this will make it extremely difficult to find new work (yes, upwork is very competitive with 50+ applications on almost every job I apply).

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Marianna B wrote:

I have terminated the contract. My question is, what are my options?
I'm left unpaid, but the client can leave feedback which expectedly won't be positive. Is there an option not to leave feedback?

You ended the contract, which also ended your options.

If nothing was paid, no feedback will appear on your profile, but any private feedback, if the client left private feedback, will be calculated into your Job Success Score.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Marianna,

Sadly, the problem that inexperienced/incompetent clients don't know what they want initially or dishonest clients expand their requirements after an Upwork contract is in place, what you describe is not uncommon (based on the number of posts we see here about this problem from other freelancers).

In the first case, doing a project on an hourly rather than fixed price basis can help align the amount of work you eventually do for a client and what they actually pay you.

In both the first and second case, it is really important to clearly define the deliverables on any project. This would include details about just what you will do, but also what you will not do in order to complete the contract. (I doubt many inexperienced freelancers bother with this second bit, but they often ought to.)

Inexperienced clients can/might/often will agree that their post-contract add-on requirements are not in line with the original scope of the contract. You'll just have to stand your ground on "more work, more pay" with the dishonest ones..

Either way, once a contract is in place the client has a permanent ability to leave both private and public feedback for you. We have been told on this message board that the private feedback is significantly more important in calculating a freelancer's Job Success Score. 

I think I'd just leave this sort of contract open but idle, in the hope the client might just go away and not close the contract on their own (which you can do yourself long after they've gone away and the client might not even be paying any attention any more and won't leave feedback for you). Others here will likely have an opinion on that approach, which I have never actually had to do because I don't have to drag things out with my clients. 

Good luck!

Thank you for your solution, particularly the suggestion to charge hourly which I will adopt from now on.

30f6d9d6
Community Member

You might have had this experience, but we have just had 3 freelancers in a row cancel a contract because they did not even start the work. All 3 of them just messaged us on the day of delivery and said "Sorry i can't complete this task due to it's complexity" i will refund the contract. But they have no concept or respect for the amount of time wasted. They request 5 days for completition, never make any contact during the timeline of the task and then abruptly message you on the day the work is due to be delivered and say sorry.

I am not sure how Upwork is letting freelancers get away with this. The worst part is, if you cancel the contract Upwork actually leaves an empty 5* review for the freelancer! LOL As if they did a great job or something when in reality they did not even start the task. 

If it's happened for you 3 times in a row, it's probably not the freelancers that are the problem...

Ronak P wrote:

The worst part is, if you cancel the contract Upwork actually leaves an empty 5* review for the freelancer!

That's not true.

re: "but we have just had 3 freelancers in a row cancel a contract because they did not even start the work. All 3 of them just messaged us on the day of delivery and said 'Sorry i can't complete this task due to it's complexity' i will refund the contract."

This is not a freelancer problem.

This is a PM problem.

You need to do one of the following:

- Hire a project manager

- Learn how to perform the tasks that a project manager performs

Also, you are apparently using fixed-price contracts for a project that needs to be accomplished using hourly contracts.

Some years ago, I experienced hiring a freelancer and she waited until the deadline was passed, then appeared and said that she felt that it was hard so she hadn't started yet. (I had a second plan, so that I could make it up her part easily and didn't have anything damaged, but it's irrelevant)

Since that day, I always schedule the deadline of each stage of the project and make sure that 2 sides understand clearly.

I'm not sure if this is the best way or not, but it worked for me, at least until now.

Ronak P wrote:

The worst part is, if you cancel the contract Upwork actually leaves an empty 5* review for the freelancer! 

I think you've missed something. When you close a contract, there's always an option to "rate the freelancer". If there were no money paid, you can't leave a public feedback but still can leave a private feedback, which will take affect on the freelancer's Job Sucess Score.

petra_r
Community Member

Ronak P wrote: we have just had 3 freelancers in a row cancel a contract 

When three out of three freelancers tell you something, chances are they have a point.

Nonsense.

When a contract was cancelled without any payment no trace of it is visible on the freelancer's profile, let alone an "empty 5* review".

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members