🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract cancelled due to inactivity
Page options
msublette
Community Member

Contract cancelled due to inactivity

Hi all -

I know this is my fault.  I've had this happen before and I completely forgot about the details of it until I looked it up.  Anyway, I have a client that I write for upon occasion.  He funded a milestone before Christmas, but didn't actually come back to give me the work for that milestone until last month.  I got a warning email, that I assume he got as well, about the contract being closed due to inactivity.  However, I had already given my latest submission to the person managing the project (via email). I have no reason to believe I won't eventually be paid, but what is the best way to handle this situation.

Should I just click the button to refund what is in escrow and ask the client to set up a new contract for the work that we are currently editing?

It kind of sucks that this happened and I hate that Upwork thinks they know when a contract should be closed.  When I got the warning, I thought that I'd be able to get the latest submission submitted for the milestone before it was closed automatically, but the manager has been in and out sick and on vacation so it just took longer than expected. 

TIA

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Michelle S wrote:

Should I just click the button to refund what is in escrow and ask the client to set up a new contract for the work that we are currently editing?

Was anything ever paid under the contract? In that case yes, if it is a long standing trusted client, just agree to the return of the Escrow funds and get going on a new contract.

Michelle S wrote:

It kind of sucks that this happened and I hate that Upwork thinks they know when a contract should be closed. 

It's apparently something to do with Escrow regulations. Escrow funds can only be held in Escrow for a limited time.

mtngigi
Community Member

Petra is correct. It's not Upwork thinking they know when a contract should be closed. Money in escrow cannot (legally) be held for longer than 90 days.

You just need to remind clients of that if an extended job is nearing that 90-day mark.

Thanks!

I get it.  It's just frustrating.  There has been plenty paid on the contract and I've worked with the client for about a year.  So all is good there.  I'll go ahead and click the button to refund what is in escrow and work from there.  While I'd hate to lose my $200, if the client does not start a new contract up for whatever I'll just take the hit and move on.  It's not worth worrying over.  I just wanted to make sure that doing everying the best way from the position I'm currently in.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths