🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract closed but now client can't pay me
Page options
mike_mcgann
Community Member

Contract closed but now client can't pay me

I did a quick freelance job for a client and closed the contract when I finished not realizing they haven't set up a payment method with Upwork yet.

This apparently created an issue as the client is usually billed automatically when the contract is closed. Now the client has been trying to pay me but their account is suspended. 

How can this be remedied?

6 REPLIES 6
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I think they can pay you via a bonus. 

It's a bad idea to perform/deliver any work before a client's payment method has been verified. 

Thanks for your reply, I'll work with them and see if this works. 

petra_r
Community Member

The client needs to complete the verification of their payment method. Afterward, they can pay you via a bonus.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Also, it is not the case that the client is usually billed automatically when the contract is closed. On fixed-price contracts, the payment process is triggered by the FL submitting work and clicking the Request Payment button. On hourly contracts, the payment process happens automatically each week (for any hours logged that week). You really need to get a better understanding of how the platform works before accepting any more contracts.

mike_mcgann
Community Member

This was an hourly contract. I logged my time and there is no further work needed from the client, so I closed the contract for the documented time. 

Success on the UW platform ultimately depends on establishing and maintaining a high JSS which is driven by client feedback. Either party can close a contract. Whoever does is required to leave fb and the other party is notified and invited (but not required) to leave fb. Especially when starting out, best practice is to get clients to close contracts to be sure of capturing their fb (unless, of course, there is reason to believe they are less than thrilled with the project outcome in which case, let it sit idle and hope they forget about it and go away). 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members