Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ended because of a Virus got from one of job postings

Highlighted
Krish Q Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
1 of 9

Hi,

I really do not know if I am in a right place to raise my concern but after spending almost all of my connects, I finally got my very first job here in Upwork. It actually my second day working with the client as I am writing this and unfortunately, it's my last day as well. It was all because of a virus I got from one of the Job post. I understand the side of the client and it's normal that they would doubt if my device is capable of running their tools and also, I understand if they will just move on without me. I just do not know who will be held accountable for this. I'm trying to vent out here because it took me months to finally land a job and lose it in a snap. I am sorry if you may find this inappropriate but I just seeking enlightenment on this.

With respect,

Krish

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
2 of 9

Sorry, please see correct screenshot attached.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Charles N Member Since: Apr 4, 2016
BEST ANSWER
3 of 9

Hello Krish,

How are you today? You question isn't inappropriate and you sure are in the right place. Just like you I also spent all my connects twice before I landed my first job and I have done 5 more jobs after that. When incidents like this happen you likely won't be blaming anyone. Upwork do not control how clients post or attach files to their job post so they won't take the blame. On the other hand I will advice that you get an antivirus e.g Avast Internet Security. It scans any document before it is downloaded and even when it is download the file is loaded from the avast sandbox to prevent infecting your PC if its a malware.

On the part of the client that ended the contract, I think he was too quick to act. This can happen to anyone also. I won't also blame the client because since you will handling sensitive data for them they wouldn't want to take chances.

My advice is that you keep applying for jobs and keep your profile upto date and catchy. Best of luck.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
4 of 9

Hi Njoku

I appreciate your time to help and enlightenment. I'm okay now. I guess I just have this charged to experience. =) Best of luck to you and your work.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
5 of 9

Krish,
You left out details that provide clues as to why the client suddenly ended the contract.

Did this client send you a file that gave you the virus? Unlikely he would hire you to begin with if it was intentional.

As soon as you discovered you had a virus you should have stopped all communication and file transfers until you have removed it from your system.
That doesn't take long unless you were unlucky enough to get a virus so new that there is no quick fix.

You don't go blabbing to world (clients and friends and others) Hey I got a virus. What did you think would happen. They're going to avoid you like the plague.
Even telling them you had a virus but now it's gone is unwise. They're going to be very suspicious and some will stop all communication with you.

If you're going online for any reason then you have to use some anti-virus software. It's dumb not to.

Bad stuff happens all the time. Fix it and get back to work. Don't feel the need to scare your clients and friends with something you've now eliminated, otherwise you won't have any clients or friends left.

If the client got a virus from something you sent him. then it's pretty obvious why he ended the contract.

Highlighted
6 of 9

Hi Richard,

I really appreciate your response on this. The file was attached together with the job post. It was a one-time project job posted by a different client. That said file caused my device to run slow and display some errors on the web pages opened before it will totally go unresponsive. It was my first day yesterday and I was like under intensive monitoring through Teamviewer to ensure that everything is fine. The monitoring went well yesterday until today where they actually witnessed total latency on my computer so I guess they concluded that my device was incapable of running their tools. I have resolved the issue myself but as a starter here, my only aim was to establish a good client impression which turned the other way. I'm really sorry, I really did not intend to post such issue. It's just that, I was unable to think coherent after getting fired earlier that's why I got here. Thank you so much for the enlightenment sir.

Highlighted
Mehreen A Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
7 of 9

No problem . Many members are applying for job on this website

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Krish

I am sorry about the impact this has had to your business or personal accounts. We will continue to do whatever we can to avoid this in the future. We regularly review and update our systems to address any potential vulnerabilities, and we investigate any member reports associated with account or platform security.

You can learn more about our ongoing efforts in this area here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067678-What-system-level-security-measures-does-Upwo...

For your safety, routine antivirus scans should be performed on any devices used to access your account. Never run files that end in .exe or other suspicious files sent to you by users you do not know or trust; even if a trusted individual sends you an exe or other suspicious file, you should verify its safety before running it. If you are unsure about an attachment, you may upload exe and other files smaller than 64MB to http://www.virustotal.com to scan them for malware, spyware, and viruses.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 9

Your post reminded me of this one: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Client-serving-Virus-on-Upwork-and-Blackmailing-the-Free...

Are you sure the client didn't do this intentionally?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS