🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract ended but the client now wants t...
Page options
blukoff
Community Member

Contract ended but the client now wants to pay.

I submitted the work a day after the deadline. The client is willing to pay for work submitted. How do we go about it?

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Brian L wrote:

I submitted the work a day after the deadline. The client is willing to pay for work submitted. How do we go about it?

Hourly job, you used the time tracker -> do absolutely nothing.

Fixed price job, you click submit for payment. 

Have you been hired and do you see the job in your "my jobs" list?

Talk to support

The contract was for a fixed pricee. I don't think I can submit the work as the milestone was deleted when the client ended the contract.

petra_r
Community Member

Brian L wrote:

The contract was for a fixed pricee. I don't think I can submit the work as the milestone was deleted when the client ended the contract.

Then the client must have sent a request to return the funds in Escrow? Did you approve that? Was the milestone even funded?

In any case, the client can go to the contract and pay you via a bonus payment.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Brian,

Don't work on any fixed price project until there is at least one milestone set up on Upwork and it has been fully funded by the client.

When you submit the work at or near its completion point, only do it using the green "Submit" button on the project page, not via email or Upwork messaging. If I understand correctly, the client can't cancel the project without your permission from that point on. (S)he can contest payment, but your money will stay in escrow - (s)he can't just disappearwith it.

Good luck with the bonus payment.

Will L wrote:

Don't work on any fixed price project until there is at least one milestone set up on Upwork and it has been fully funded by the client.

There was a funded milestone.

It is not physically possible to create a fixed rate contract without setting up and funding at least the first milestone.

Petra,

It's good that you have the time and are willing to investigate freelancer's problems beyond what they post here. Many new freelancers use the word "contract" in a looser sense than Upwork intends.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths