🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract ended due to client startup logistic...
Page options
bb7effcf
Community Member

Contract ended due to client startup logistic issues

Hello, I am just starting here on Upwork and so far so good but this is what i recently encountered: I got an invitation for a job from a client who is using Upwork for the first time. She's just starting with her business and we discussed everything. After sending the second presentation with the logo and everything finalized, she told me to be patient with her before she could respond and move forward as there is a lot of logistic things she's undergoing with her business etc. I told her ok and take your time.

After one month i asked her if we are gonna continue the contract or end it so that to keep things organized, she told me she will get back to me in a week after discussing with her partners. She just sent an email saying she will pause the project indefinitely and thanked me for the work etc. I can send a screenshot of our conversation.

What i want to know is: Will this affect my Job Success Score negatively? Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Alexis B wrote:

Hello, I am just starting here on Upwork and so far so good but this is what i recently encountered: I got an invitation for a job from a client who is using Upwork for the first time. She's just starting with her business and we discussed everything. After sending the second presentation with the logo and everything finalized, she told me to be patient with her before she could respond and move forward as there is a lot of logistic things she's undergoing with her business etc. I told her ok and take your time.

After one month i asked her if we are gonna continue the contract or end it so that to keep things organized, she told me she will get back to me in a week after discussing with her partners. She just sent an email saying she will pause the project indefinitely and thanked me for the work etc. I can send a screenshot of our conversation.

What i want to know is: Will this affect my Job Success Score negatively? Thanks!

It will not. Ask her to end the contract, and as everything went well as you described, she will certainly give you a nice feedback. No worries!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients may pause a contract at any time. Clients may end a contract at any time.

Having a paused contract does not affect JSS negatively.

If a client tells me that they want to pause a contract indefinitely or for an extended period of time, I will tell them:

"Francine:

Thank you for your note. You do not need to pause the contract. You can go ahead and close the contract now. This will work better for both of us. With the contract closed, it is clear that you don't need me to work on it right now. There will be no way for you to be billed additionally for this contract. Whenever you need me, you can find me right here on Upwork and start a new contract. If you have questions, you can still contact me even though the contract is closed."

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Alexis B wrote:

It will not. Ask her to end the contract, and as everything went well as you described, she will certainly give you a nice feedback. No worries!

petra_r
Community Member

Alexis B wrote:

Is it a fixed rate or an hourly contract?

Have you been PAID anything at all?

As long as you've been (or will be) paid something, it won't affect your JSS. There is no need to launch into convoluted speeches.

Just thank the client for the opportunity, ask them to close the contract (provided you have been paid something) and assure her that she can rehire you easily when her situation changes.

If you HAVE been paid (anything at all) - no worries. If you haven't, come back and we'll see if there is an elegant way out.

bb7effcf
Community Member

I have been paid. everything went very smoothly, was asking to be in the know.

Since that has been resolved can i delete this question? dont want any convoluted speeches was just checking.

Thanks!

re: "Since that has been resolved can i delete this question?"

There is no option for you to delete this thread from the Community Forum.

You have your answers, true, but this thread remains and can help other users who face similar situations.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members