cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ended unexpectedly?

Eben O Member Since: Jan 24, 2019
1 of 4

Hi, this has happened to me a couple times now.

I set up a multi-milestone contract, and after the first is completed I "submit work for payment". The client pays, but I immediately get a message "client has ended the contract".

I don't think they did this intentionally - it seems to happen automatically even though there are further (unfunded) milestones. Is this a bug, are my clients hitting the wrong button, or do I need to set up the contract differently?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 4

Go into your message room and it'll show who closed the contract. You can also message them there.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 4

Are you doing a substantial amount of the work in the first milestone? If so, the customer might think (s)he can finish what you've started and save some money not paying you to complete the work.

I rarely use fixed pricing in the type of projects I work on, but if I do use fixed pricing I always use at least three milestones and frontload higher payment amounts, so if/when a client closes out the project early then I've been paid more of the total project value than if I'd structured the milestones more evenly or with higher payments on the back end.

Eben O Member Since: Jan 24, 2019
4 of 4

No, these are all good clients and I've had no trouble arranging the rest of the payment so I don't think they are trying to get out of paying. It seems to be either accidental or a problem with the system.

I probably should insist on getting the full contract amount into escrow at the start though. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS