Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ended when it was not even started

Highlighted
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
1 of 7

Hello everyone!

I accepted a job offer from a client a couple of days ago. And I was waiting for the client to communicate with me. But today the contract was ended without any communications. And I have provided a feedback for him, but now I guess client has also a functionality to provide feedback? if the answer to the question is yes, then what are the options client has? Can he provide a bad feedback even there were no communications and payments and no time logged? Can this effect my score?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Giorgi,

Contracts with no money paid can affect your Job Success Score and both parties can leave private feedback on them. The correct procedure here is to communicate with a prospective client and discuss the job scope, terms and requirements in detail before accepting their offer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
3 of 7

Hello Vladimir!

Can you confirm that contract can not start without having client verify his payment method? I received a notification "Your contract ... started".  If no, then what if client wants to intentionally brake my score? He can register different accounts and without verifying payment he can spam me with offers and interview me etc and close all contracts and give me a bad feedback. If this is true I don't think this is correct.

Even if he can't do this without verifying payments method, what is the purpose of forcing us to make feedbacks when no communications, payments and time logged? I gave him a low feedback because he just could tell me that he closes the job etc. I am right here. But what he can give me from 0 to 10? What is the sense of forcing this? What do we rate here? I think you should really just remove such contracts without any affects on my and client`s score.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
4 of 7

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Giorgi,

Contracts with no money paid can affect your Job Success Score and both parties can leave private feedback on them. The correct procedure here is to communicate with a prospective client and discuss the job scope, terms and requirements in detail before accepting their offer.

Vladimir, please tell the team that in some cases this procedure is a nonsense. I had this happening to me once when the client ended the job because he found out he hired me for the wrong contract! How is this my fault?? How is communication on my side to be blamed here? In the end, I was lucky because the client chose 10 (that's what he told me anyway), but that's it: pure luck...

In Giorgi's case, it seems something out of his control is probably going to affect him - and this shouldn't happen!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 7

Hi Olga,

I think we've addressed the contract you mentioned, I'm not sure. In any case, one or two contracts won't affect your score, but a number of them will. The system is set up in this way to account for the incidents such as yours, and it also takes into account private feedback left on the contract.

Giorgi, if you suspect this client ended the contract for questionable reasons and is using multiple account on Upwork, please report the incident to Support. We do review client performance and exclude contracts related to "bad" clients.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
6 of 7

That's odd? I was told by a customer support before that contracts with zero payment made doesn't affect the score. Well, it wasn't the JSS yet back then but the 5 star rating system.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

@Maria Marilyn M wrote:

That's odd? I was told by a customer support before that contracts with zero payment made doesn't affect the score. Well, it wasn't the JSS yet back then but the 5 star rating system.

JSS and star system are two different systems, so there is nothing odd about it.... contracts with zero payment made do not affect your star rating, but can affect your JSS depending on private feedback left and how many such contracts you have.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS