Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ended without describing work

zohaumar
Community Leader
Zoha U Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
1 of 12

Hello

So I got an offer a few minutes ago and their was no brief of the project in the poroposal. 

I asked a few questions and accepted the offer

Once accepting the offer, a requested the client to provide me the raw material( color pallete) and she ended the contract and asked for refunds. 

Will a contract as such affect my rating? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 12

Yes, you could see your Job Success Score affected negatively because of his.

You should understand that you made a tactical error.

This was a mistake that you should learn from.

Do what I do:

I never accept an hourly contract unless I know enough about the project to do at least ten minutes of work. Then when I start the contract, I make sure I do at least ten minutes of work.

I never accept a fixed-price contract unless I have enough information and the input files required in order to complete the task. That way I can always do the work and turn it in EVEN IF I never hear from the client again.

This way, I avoid zero-pay contracts. I always get paid for a contract after the client hires me, even if the client never communicates again or never logs into Upwork again.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 12

@Preston H wrote:

Yes, you could see your Job Success Score affected negatively because of his.

You should understand that you made a tactical error.

This was a mistake that you should learn from.

Oh come on, Preston, she never had time to do any work on it, the client closed the contract within minutes.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 12

Hi Zoha, 

I would just like to correct what Preston has shared. Refunds by themselves have no impact on the Job Success Score. The outcome of the contract, whether positive or negative, is what affects the score. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 12

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Zoha, 

I would just like to correct what Preston has shared. Refunds by themselves have no impact on the Job Success Score. The outcome of the contract, whether positive or negative, is what affects the score. 

A contract that ends without payment can indeed have a negative effect on the JSS.

No, the refund by itself won't - but a contract that started and ended within minutes, with no money exchanging hands and no work done isn't "a positive outcome!"

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 12

That sucks. I got a funded offer just sitting there and I kinda got the feels this person wasn't a great communicator and I don't have enough info to do anything if I accept so it's just sitting there staring me in the face. -_-

zohaumar
Community Leader
7 of 12

Okay

So the contract basically had a deadline to be fulfilled within 24 hours and the client hasn't hired anyone still. It could mean that they no longer needed the work done?

Shouldn't there be a rule on Upwork that contracts ending within minutes should not affect "negatively"? 

And I DID GATHER a lot of information before accepting the job and she told me that she has a color palette and she's uploading the stuff. The "stuff" never got uploaded!! 

petra_r
Community Guru
8 of 12

Zoha, it is what it is.

Wait until the next JSS Update and see what, if any, effect it had.

If need be, use your perk (provided you have it available) to exclude the contract and move on, That's what it's there for.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 12

re: "Shouldn't there be a rule on Upwork that contracts ending within minutes should not affect 'negatively'?"

Your frustration with this situation is understandable.

But as a purely practical matter, there will never be any way for Upwork to create a system which is perfectly far 100% of the time.

What you experienced - a client closing a contract so quickly after it began - is very much an "edge case." It's simply nothing that Upwork's designers anticipated. So although maybe there should be a rule... there isn't one.

zohaumar
Community Leader
10 of 12

Okay 

Thanks for the support once again everyone. 

Let's move on and concentrate on work now. Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS