🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract ending before autopayment will o...
Page options
jimstafford
Community Member

Contract ending before autopayment will occur, how to expedite?

I've had an open contract with a client for a few months. I don't think it's anything suspicious – half the payment is in escrow, and they do get back to me with prompting. 

I received an upWork message telling me that the contract would automatically be closed in two weeks as there'd been 'no movement' (not really true, as there'd been plenty of messages and files sent, but I think they mean no financial movement) so contacted the client, who said that they were happy with the work and that I should sent final assets.

I did that, and requested payment (both in message form, and from a technical perspective).

Now the problem is, if (and this might not be the case) they're planning to walk off with the files and not pay (and this  is ignoring the fact I'll only get half of the agreed money as that's all that's in escrow, that's on me for being polite) the two week warning for the contract being closed will occur BEFORE the two week auto-release of the money in escrow. Which I assume means the money will go back to the client rather than coming to me, despite me having completed the job and supplied the assets.

Is there an easy solution to this? Or do I have to submit a ticket?

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi James,

Unfortunately, if no actions are taken from your client side the contract will be closed. When the contract is closed you will be notified and given an option to approve the Escrow refund or reject it, by rejecting it a dispute will be opened. To learn more how you`re protected under our Fixed Price protection check out this Guide. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ah, so it doesn't automatically refund to the client? Good to know, thanks.

Hi James,

Yes that is correct, you`re still protected under our payment protection. Please keep in mind that in case the contract is closed you will have 7 days to respond on the refund request. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members