🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract on Hold (All payment dues cleared)
Page options
52e194da
Community Member

Contract on Hold (All payment dues cleared)

Hi
I am currently working on a long-term project with my client.

I got a mail this morning saying that my contract has been placed on hold and that I don't need to do anything from my end.
I went through the community page of Upwork, looking for answers and it says that this issue arises, 99% of the time, due to nonpayment of dues but in this case, the client has cleared all his dues and the next payment for the client is scheduled for 3rd March.

Now, I believe as an active party of the said contract, I do reserve the right to know why my contract is on hold because this whole issue can lead to a bad experience for my client and he might end up terminating the contract and I lose a lot of money over the next 6 months at least. 

What should I do?

5 REPLIES 5
alexandernovikov
Community Member

It may be that his dues to you are cleared, but he still owes something to his *other* contractors and his account is suspended because of that.

But in that dispute, why should my contract be on hold? They can hold the contract which has an issue, this is affecting my time and my credibility. I work limited hours a week for the client and I do have activities and meetings already lined up. Even if i postpone it to next week, I end up losing money for this week and for no fault of mine or in my contract

petra_r
Community Member

Vishrant S wrote:

But in that dispute, 

That has nothing to do with a dispute.

If your contract is an hourly contract, last week's hours remain unpaid. The client's payment method could not be charged on Monday and subsequent attempts to charge also failed.

If you logged and hours last week, that includes your hours.

Vishrant S wrote:

I end up losing money for this week and for no fault of mine or in my contract

Then encourage the client to pay Upwork what they owe. In your own interest, because your hours from last week are also not paid, if any.

52e194da
Community Member

Well yes. I do understand that but that is why I have already mentioned that my dues are cleared and Upwork has received the payment for my previous work week. The next due date is the 3rd of March. 

petra_r
Community Member

Vishrant S wrote:

I have already mentioned that my dues are cleared and Upwork has received the payment for my previous work week.

How would you know that???? Hint: The answer is: You don't - there is NOTHING on a freelancer's account where the freelancer can see whether the client's payment was successful or not. If a client doesn't pay, either the hourly protection kicks in next week, or the unpaid pending funds are reversed on Tuesday if the terms of the protection are not met, such as manual time, low activity levels or similar.)

Clients are charged on Monday for ALL hours from the previous week, not just yours. That charge either goes through or it does not. Upwork can't have successfully charged your client for your hours but not someone else's. That simply isn't possible. It's one charge. It succeeds or it fails. They then attempt to charge it again several times before suspending. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members