🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract on Hold then off Hold
Page options
gracealtieri
Community Member

Contract on Hold then off Hold

I am just curious since this is the second time this has happend. My contract was put on hold for a couple hours and then taken off hold, in the middlw of the night. Same contract. Why? 

Its a long term contract so I am unsure of what the deal is? The first time it happened was when it starte in the beginningof June and then last night?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

A contract can be placed on hold by Upwork for a very short time. Or a longer time.

Either way, it's not something to worry about. This has to do with the client and the client's payment method. The only thing you need to do is make sure you don't work on the project while it is on hold.

Maybe the client's credit card expired, and then Upwork tried to charge it, and the automated system couldn't complete the charge. So an automated message was sent to the client. The client then logged in to Upwork and updated his credit card information. So then the contract hold was lifted.

Don't worry about it.

Also, a client may pause a contract at any time, and may un-pause a contract at any time. Maybe the client pauses a contract for a short time, or maybe for a longer time, but either way, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong. It just means that you don't work on the project while the contract is paused.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

A contract can be placed on hold by Upwork for a very short time. Or a longer time.

Either way, it's not something to worry about. This has to do with the client and the client's payment method. The only thing you need to do is make sure you don't work on the project while it is on hold.

Maybe the client's credit card expired, and then Upwork tried to charge it, and the automated system couldn't complete the charge. So an automated message was sent to the client. The client then logged in to Upwork and updated his credit card information. So then the contract hold was lifted.

Don't worry about it.

Also, a client may pause a contract at any time, and may un-pause a contract at any time. Maybe the client pauses a contract for a short time, or maybe for a longer time, but either way, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong. It just means that you don't work on the project while the contract is paused.

Thank you Preston! It's a long term client, so I thought it was weird but just a procedure...

I appreciate your help!

petra_r
Community Member

Grace H wrote:

I am just curious since this is the second time this has happend. My contract was put on hold for a couple hours and then taken off hold, in the middlw of the night. Same contract. Why? 

It means the client failed to pay for hours logged for several days, then fixed it after they were suspended.

Best to avoid manual time with clients like that. 

It's just hourly, no manual time allowed. The first time it heppened was 2 days into the contract, so I disregarded it the first time. Thanks for you quick response, as always!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members