🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract on Hold
Page options
oneshot2shots
Community Member

Contract on Hold

Hi

I am looking for clarity on a contract hold. 

The milestone has been funded and I have done the work. So I am assuming that the money is going to be released regardless of what the client has or has not done - UpWork can hardly pocket it for themselves?

Secondly, I have heard that a contract on hold can affect your job success score and that it might be better to do a manual close. Is this a better option? The client just stopped responding but before this, the relationship was running pretty smoothly. 

TIA

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Daniel O wrote:

Hi

The milestone has been funded and I have done the work. So I am assuming that the money is going to be released regardless of what the client has or has not done - UpWork can hardly pocket it for themselves?

That depends on what happened to cause the client to be suspended. No, OBVIOUSLY Upwork does not "pocket" money itself, it either comes to you or it goes back to the payment method it came from (in fraud cases or where a stolen / hacked / unauthorised payment method was used)

Have you used the "Submit for Payment" function?

MOST of the time, contract holds are resolved by the client fixing whatever needs to be fixed, and often they have no effect on your payment at all anyway, even if the suspension is not resolved.

Daniel O wrote:

Secondly, I have heard that a contract on hold can affect your job success score

You heard wrong. Plus, if it is a fixed price contract, the money would be forfeited if you close the contract before  the funds are released to you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Daniel O wrote:

Hi

That depends on what happened to cause the client to be suspended. No, OBVIOUSLY Upwork does not "pocket" money itself, it either comes to you or it goes back to the payment method it came from (in fraud cases or where a stolen / hacked / unauthorised payment method was used)

Have you used the "Submit for Payment" function?

MOST of the time, contract holds are resolved by the client fixing whatever needs to be fixed, and often they have no effect on your payment at all anyway, even if the suspension is not resolved.

Daniel O wrote:

Secondly, I have heard that a contract on hold can affect your job success score

You heard wrong. Plus, if it is a fixed price contract, the money would be forfeited if you close the contract before  the funds are released to you.

gega6mk
Community Member

Hey Petra,

What about if the contract is hourly and every hours logged have been paid? Is it better to wait out another week or to end the contract. What would be the best way to act without losing JSS?

Thank you.

petra_r
Community Member

Risto G wrote:

What about if the contract is hourly and every hours logged have been paid? Is it better to wait out another week or to end the contract. What would be the best way to act without losing JSS?

The contract does not have any negative effect on your JSS whether you leave it open or close it. You've been paid. Unless the client fixes their issues with Upwork and leaves you poor feedback, the contract won't hurt you one way or the other.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members