🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract on hold
Page options
maiahenrique
Community Member

Contract on hold

Hi there about two months ago I received an email from Upwork: one of my contracts has been put on hold: "We have noticed some possible issues with your contract with xxx". My question is: is there any chance I get paid for the work I've done?
10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Jose M wrote:
. My question is: is there any chance I get paid for the work I've done?

Why haven't you been paid yet? Fixed rate or hourly? If hourly, did you track your time?   If fixed rate, did you submit your work for payment through the contract's "Submit for Payment" function?

It is fixed price and yes, at the time I submitted for payment and everything seemed ok to me until the amount get the status of pending. I talked with the client he told me it was because of a credit card issues that will be solved soon, but until now, the problem remains unsolved. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Jose,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

ok, thanks.

denzilotieno99
Community Member

Hi Jose, 

You will get paid for whatever tasks you have completed on Upwork and submitted. What it means when Upwork suddenly puts your contract on hold is that there are insufficient funds in the client account, so Upwork fears there could be a dispute once you have completed your task. Now, if Upwork notifies you about the same in the future, just stop working on the contract and try to inquire with your client to check if anything is wrong. From my experience, though, I learned from my client that his card was expired and that Upwork could not fetch the funds from his account to Escrow. I hope that helps, and anyone is free to add any information that would help. 

Best, 

Denzil

Hi Denzil, thanks for the answer. 

Indeed you're right. According to the client, there was a problem with his card. However, two months passed and this problem remains unsolved. I don't know what to do, I wish Upwork were more transparent and responsive.

Jose M wrote:

According to the client, there was a problem with his card. However, two months passed and this problem remains unsolved. 

Is the amount still in Pending? If Escrow was funded and the funds held by Upwork it's probably because there was indeed "a problem" with the card, such as that it could not be confirmed that the client was the person supposed to use the card, for example. Why is your client not resolving the situation? If the client has become unresponsive, chances are they and their payment method were indeed dodgy,

In that case, the funds were likely reversed and you won't get paid.

Indeed, the client become unresponsive. But I think is not fair I do not get paid since the client had his payment method verified.

The irony is that after he becomes unresponsive he offered me a payment trough PayPal, but I do not accept because I know it is against the Upwork's rules and I believe they will solve this problem. I think my problem was trust too much on Upwork.

Thank you anyway Mrs Petra.
hol2.PNG

Hi Jose,

I understand your frustration with this and I`m sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Feel free to share more evidence on your ticket and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Denzil O wrote:

You will get paid for whatever tasks you have completed on Upwork and submitted. 

The contract has been on hold for 2 months. Had he submitted something he'd have been paid by now, and we don't know if it is an hourly contract.

Denzil O wrote:

What it means when Upwork suddenly puts your contract on hold is that there are insufficient funds in the client account, so Upwork fears there could be a dispute once you have completed your task. 

A fixed price contract can't even be started without the funds being taken from the card and put into Escrow, and putting a contract on hold has nothing at all to do with Upwork fearing a dispute.

Denzil O wrote:

From my experience, though, I learned from my client that his card was expired and that Upwork could not fetch the funds from his account to Escrow. 

Again, that simply isn't true because Escrow must be successfully funded for a contract to be initiated. Once a contract starts, the money is in Escrow.

In the vast majority of cases, a contract being put on hold simply means the client either defaulted on an hourly contract payment or there are verification issues.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths