🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract paused by client
Page options
sahilkmittal
Community Member

Contract paused by client

Hi,

One Client hired me 2 months back. After just half an hour, the client paused the contract and asked me to stay on standby.
I messaged 2-3 times but no response now. I don't like to stay on standby simply like this with no communication. This is just rude and stupid. What is the action I should take?
If I close the contract myself and the client gives me negative feedback, How much it can affect me since there is no work done for that client

11 REPLIES 11
NikolaS

Hi Sahil,

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. 

On an hourly contract, it may be best to end your contract with an unresponsive client. Already-logged hours will be invoiced as usual, but no further payment should be expected on the ended contract. Even if your client fails to pay you for the hours invoiced, you will still be paid if you are eligible for Upwork Hourly ProtectionYou can find more information in this help article

I would like to clarify that contracts with good feedback but no earnings aren't considered in the score. You can find more information on this Community thread and in this help article about Job Succes Score

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

You are talking very generic. I need a solution to my problem. Does contracts with negative feedback but no earnings considered in the score? Even the private feedback?

penngrp
Community Member

I do not understand the problem. Why can you just not stand-by and work on other projects? If the client contacts you later you can simply say I can have your project done by tis date. 

If they say "last time yousaidit would only take X amount of time". Then you could just say "yes, but that was before you put the project on hold, my schedule is full at the moment" 

Keeping the job open is not going to hurt anything. What will be the benefit to you of cancelling the job?

Your 77% JSS pretty much explains you don't know the basic terms and conditions of upwork.
That's ok. I will help you, Check this image

Apart from its effect on JSS, It is simply rude and irritating. Clients don't own freelancers. They can't simply hire them and put them on standby like this

Sahil Kumar M wrote:

They can't simply hire them and put them on standby like this

Yes, they absolutely can. Clients can pause or end contracts any time they like. Just as you can.

Sahil Kumar M wrote:

Does contracts with negative feedback but no earnings considered in the score? Even the private feedback?

Yes. Absolutely! Public feedback is pretty meaningless when it comes to the JSS. The private feedback is what drives the JSS.

You are top rated. So if the worst comes to the worst and this contract does end up affecting your JSS, you can use your top rated perk,

provided you haven't used it in the last 3 months and 10 contracts.

I agree Petra they can, But there is not even a single thing I did for the client, I was put on standby just after half an hour of hiring and I have messaged 2-3 times for updates, but no response. It's been 2 months. So it is unacceptable according to me. 

Sahil Kumar M wrote:

was put on standby just after half an hour of hiring and I have messaged 2-3 times for updates, but no response. It's been 2 months 

So what is the problem? Just close the contract and move on with your life. Or leave it open. Who cares. No need for any of this flapping! The client is gone. They won't leave any feedback. Lots of fuss over absolutely nothing.

'Lots of fuss'
Nobody forced you to get involved in it if you think it is a fuss. I am a legit user of Upwork. I have a problem and I felt taking suggestions. If you think it is a fuss, why do you care to reply? 

"Your 77% JSS pretty much explains you don't know the basic terms and conditions of upwork"

I would say that my nearly $70,000 in earnings pretty much explains that I do know the basic terms and conditions of upwork.

Good for you.

Cheers

ceefaeca
Community Member

So it won't impact you right now. If the client gives you negative private feedback, when they cancel the contract, it will impact the JSS. 

I'd recommend waiting and let the contract be open for now. Maybe, client needs the work later? If not, there is little harm in leaving it open (to my understanding!)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths