🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract placed on hold
Page options
nilayber
Community Member

Contract placed on hold

Hello,

On May 21, 2019 my contract with a client was placed on hold. I immediately contacted the client asking for the reason. He stated that their account was suspended by Upwork because they transacted outside of Upwork. He also stated that there was a misunderstanding and they were dealing with the issue. 

It's been 20 days and I contacted him a couple of days ago again asking for an update on the situation. I didn't receive any response. 

How can I proceed now? Is there anything I can do to receive my fund as the problem isn't related to me?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

nilay b wrote:

How can I proceed now? Is there anything I can do to receive my fund as the problem isn't related to me?

Is it a fixed rate contract and funded? Just request payment as you would with any other fixed rate contract.

nilayber
Community Member

Yes, it is fixed rate. I am afraid they weren't funded because we were waiting for the client's feedback. But I delivered my work. Can the client fund my contract when it is on hold? Do I have to wait for it to be resolved?

I highly doubt you will see that money ever, unfortunately.

If he was placed on hold, it means Upwork banned him, which is not so good for your payment. 

Also, if the client owes you money, Upwork banned him and now he is not replying to your messages, what would be the logical conclusion? You got scammed.

petra_r
Community Member

nilay b wrote:

Yes, it is fixed rate. I am afraid they weren't funded because we were waiting for the client's feedback. But I delivered my work.

It was unwise to work against an unfunded milestone. That is a big risk. (one I take myself, admittedly, from time to time.)

nilay b wrote:

Can the client fund my contract when it is on hold? Do I have to wait for it to be resolved?

No, and if the client's account is not resumed, you won't get paid.

Filip K wrote:

If he was placed on hold, it means Upwork banned him,

No.

A  suspension can be temporary. A "ban" is permanent.

Nilay,

It should be the rare exception for you to begin work on a new fixed price project, much less send it to the client, before Upwork tells you the first milestone is fully funded. Always submit the work to the client by using the green "Submit" button on the project page. The client has plenty of time (14 days) to come back and ask for changes before the funded amount will be automatically paid out to your account by Upwork, unless the client releases payment sooner.

For projects with multiple milestones, don't begin work on a subsequent milestone before all previous milestones are fully funded and fully paid out to you. This is not only a safety measure, it gives the client a reason to release all previous milestones for payment before the 14-day limit is up.

As you are now seeing, if a milestone is not funded, a client can take your work and never pay for it.

It's apparently a common scam on Upwork - we regularly see this kind of complaint on this message board.

Hi!

I have this client (under agency) and our contract was placed on hold after I made 20hours worth of work. It's an hourly rate basis. Can I still get my salary in case Upwork will not lift the suspension in two weeks' time? 

Thank you!

Hi Maria,

Unfortunately, we are unable to discuss the details of another user's account with you for privacy reasons. Please do not resume work with this client until the contract is active again. You can check out this help article for more information on this.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths