🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract suspended and Client Making Impossib...
Page options
geritsidou-tanya
Community Member

Contract suspended and Client Making Impossible Change Requests

Hello, my contract is in suspension with my first client. This happened after I had submitted my translation work to him and requested payment. Now, while the contract is still in suspension, he is requesting changes and claiming that my translation is "not giving in English the same meaning as was written" but NOT requesting any changes. Objectively the translation is absolutely correct and following his original text as it was written. (in our chat, his english is very grammatically incorrect) I fear that he seeks a way to not pay me because I declined another offer of his on a different contract with an impossible deadline and a very low price ($12 for 20,000 words translated). 

What can I do to get payment from such a client? What would you advise?

11 REPLIES 11
JoanneP

Hi Tanya,

The team has already reached out to your client about this concern. Your client will need to reply to the email from the team and resolve the issue.

For fixed-price contracts, the client has 14 days from the most recent submission on a milestone to review and approve or request changes. Approval releases the payment from escrow to you. If the client doesn't respond to any milestone submission within 14 days, the deposit is automatically released to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for your prompt reply. 

What I'd like to further ask is what if the client keeps pressing the 'request changes' button without actually requesting any change? I'm asking because this is what he did already.

Tanya G wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply. 

What I'd like to further ask is what if the client keeps pressing the 'request changes' button without actually requesting any change? I'm asking because this is what he did already.

Keep re-submitting every time he does this.

Was this a translation into English?

Yes exactly. From Greek to English. I will do that, thank you.

Tanya G wrote:

Yes exactly. From Greek to English. I will do that, thank you.

This contract will go wrong. Either you end up not getting paid, or with a nasty feedback on your profile.

In future:

1. Do not work with cheap clients. It will rarely ends well and it will wreck your profile.
  2. Avoid doing translations into your non-native language. ESPECIALLY avoid doing translations into English for clients who are English-as-a-second language speakers, especially if they are cheap clients.
  3. Avoid "farmers" (people who take on jobs and farm them out for cheap... which your client probably is) - if their own clients play up you end up being blamed.

I will keep this in mind. Thank you. I'm just very new in this site, this was my first commission. I'm native in both English and Greek... 

What would you advise me to do? Shall I end the contract to avoid the nasty review at least? He would be getting away with a perfectly good translation he didn't pay for. 

Tanya G wrote:

I will keep this in mind. Thank you. I'm just very new in this site, this was my first commission. I'm native in both English and Greek... 

What would you advise me to do? Shall I end the contract to avoid the nasty review at least? He would be getting away with a perfectly good translation he didn't pay for. 

Unfortunately, you're between a rock and a hard place, essentially. How much money are we talking about for how many words?

To be honest in general I am dead set against giving clients good work for nothing just to avoid a poor review, but frankly with this being your first contract, getting bad feedback could damage your chances of being hired again.

I would go into the offensive and ask the client to show where he thinks there were flaws in the translation. You also want to politely and diplomatically point out that the client can not use the translation until it is paid for (in case he is just trying to unnerve you into giving in...

I'm glad you're saying that, I was thinking the same thing. It was $62 for 10,000 words, also on a very tight deadline (just a single day). I was looking to get a good review, which in retrospect wasn't the most clever thing to do. 

I will go on the offensive (but diplomatically) as you suggest. 

Tanya G wrote:

I'm glad you're saying that, I was thinking the same thing. It was $62 for 10,000 words,

That was never going to go well, was it? 

Why in the world would you accept a contract like that?

It is impossible to do a good translation of 10.000 in a day. Just can't be done.

Don't ever  accept cr*p jobs like that. Not only lies only hassle that way, it also destroys the translation market.

Tanya G wrote:

. I was looking to get a good review, which in retrospect wasn't the most clever thing to do. 

No, it wasn't.  Next time you go to the supermarket, ask them if you may pay for your groceries with your feedback. If not, it may dawn on you that you work for money, not silly words and stars.

$ 62 for 10.000............ - you might as well have done it for free (which, ultimately, you may have done anyway.)

You're right. It won't happen again. I was just in a tough (and very sudden) position financially and wasn't thinking straight. Just the headspace when making decisions is a no-no. The last thing I want is to destroy the market I wish to contribute to, not diminish. 

jciron
Community Member

Is there a way to submit a dispute or ask for a resolution? I think Upwork has this in the system.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths