🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contract temporarily suspended/on hold
Page options
a_montiflor
Community Member

Contract temporarily suspended/on hold

Hi, 

I am fairly new to Upwork and was really excited to have gotten a few jobs right off the bat. I was extremely happy when the first client who gave me an Upwork job contacted me and offered me another job. 
I am working on an hourly job right now and as I was about to work today, I got an email from Upwork telling me that the contract is suspended and that I should temporarily stop all work on the contract. 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

(EDIT: Sorry I wasn't aware that I'm not allowed to post email content, I thought it was pretty harmless since the email looked standard and didn't contain any information about me nor the client. I have read the community guidelines now, will not make the same mistake again in the future.) 

I'm not really sure what this means since I'm new and this is the first time I'm experiencing this. 

Does having a contract suspended mean that I did something wrong on my end or that I've committed some sort of violation? Because I know for sure that I haven't. All I've been doing is working using the time tracker. 

Any input on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

No, a "contract being on hold" is not to be confused with an "account suspension"

It means the problem is on the client's side, usually, and especially when it happens on Friday, it's because of an issue with the client's payment method.

Just don't do any work until it is resolved.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
petra_r
Community Member

No, a "contract being on hold" is not to be confused with an "account suspension"

It means the problem is on the client's side, usually, and especially when it happens on Friday, it's because of an issue with the client's payment method.

Just don't do any work until it is resolved.

Hi Petra, 

Thanks for the response, I'm relieved to hear that the problem isn't on my end. I have contacted the client but have not received a response yet. I see that I have to read up more on Upwork TOS and such. I'm finding as I'm going along that there's so much that I still don't know about this platform. 

Thanks again and have a great day ahead! 

April

hi

My contract is temporary hold and client saying all okay from their side. Can you please help me to solve that. Shoul i deliver work to client because contract end date is near. Thank you

Hi Yash, 

I definitely recommend that you do not work on the contract until the limitation to the client's account has been lifted. If you are in contact with the client, please encourage him to resolve the issue on his account first, before proceeding with any work on the contract. 

~ Avery
Upwork

thank you for your reply. i am facing this problem too.

Hi Tonmoy,

I'm sorry to hear about your contract status. While we can't share any details, please ask your client to follow up on the notification they recently received and communicate with our team in order to resolve the issue with their account and resume your contract. Make sure to stop working on this contract and continue only after you can see that the contract has been resumed.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
32632f36
Community Member

Hello Avery O,
I faced same problem but although the contract is open, we will no need of this contract anymore as it was a one time project. we forgot to close it. As it was fixed price project, the fund was released after the job is done.
As I got that the contract is temporarly suspended, could I now end the contract as we do not need it anymore.
please let me know

Hi Md Rasel,

Yes, you can end the contract anytime from your end.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
f63617d3
Community Member

Hello

Same issues that I'm facing. You said the these issues might face on friday's due to client payment method.

But I faced today. Its tuesday.
Why is that?

Hi Mohamed,

Please keep in mind that we can't share details for another user with you. Once the problem on your client side is resolved the hold on your contract will be removed. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

My client's contract was suspended/paused yesterday (Friday). How long can it take to resolve the issue? We are on a tight schedule and I need to continue working to meet the deadline, but now I am conflicted. [He's an old and trustworthy client though]

Hi Sama,

I'd like to look into this for you. Please share the contract ID of the job you're referring to so I can check. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for your prompt reply. The Contract ID is 27781221

Hi Sama,

Thanks for sharing your contract ID. I've shared this with the team. One of our agents will reach out to your client to assist further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello Joanne,

I am experiencing the same issue with my existing long-term trustworthy client. His account is temporarily suspended thus my contract is temporarily paused by Upwork. We already communicated about this and he said he already fixed the issue with his payment method. He also mentioned Upwork billing was successfully paid in Paypal 2 days ago so he's confused why it is still suspended and not yet resolved. Can you check this for us, please? Contract ID # 30414713 - how long do you think it can be resolved and active again? Thanks so much!!!\

97e7f406
Community Member

My contract is on hold temporarily. Can you check my contract  ID # 33071996How long can it take to resolve the issue?

Hi Md Shuvo,

Thank you for your message. If a contract is on hold, it means that there is a problem with your client’s Upwork account, and you cannot continue to bill that client through Upwork until the issue is resolved. There are many possible reasons this could occur, although we can’t share the specifics regarding your clients' accounts due to privacy concerns.

It would be best for you to stop working immediately and get in touch with your client to know when the contract would resume. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hello Petra,

I received an email from Upwork that my contract is on hold. I work on an hourly contract and charge my client with a time tracker. But the payment is in review and in progress, will I still receive the payment?
My client's payment method was verified, but after I received the email I saw the account got suspended.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi April,

I can confirm the information Petra provided. The contract was placed on hold because there's an issue with your client's account, which they need to resolve in order to resume your contract.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi,

I am new to upwork. I have to tried get my first job once received an invitation but then withdrawn by client. Now I got my first my job on last wednesday which matched my skills and experience. I have been interviewed. We have spoken for nearly one hour in skype and discuss everything in details. He asked me for draft of my vba program to this job has to be submitted yesterday and shared his data for the job. And I was hired. I worked for last 15hours continously and done what discussed and described in the post.

Now he came up with some new conditions that I need to entry data from about 80pdf to my excel and he requires the program should be run on mac.

Again I told him yes this can be fixed in day as it was not mentioned earlier.

After few hour I found the contract has been paused. I have contacted with client and got a reply that he right now need this may be required in later phase.

What does that mean, Can I get paid. He asked me for the file to find how it's working and I have send it in his email which text by him in skype at the time of interview.

Need your advice, Please help.

Hi Debabrata,

Your client will be billed on Monday for the hours you logged during this week, and if they don't dispute them, the payment will go into the security period on Friday and become available to you the following Wednesday. Note that manual time is not covered by our Hourly Payment Protection program.

Please read more about Upwork's weekly billing cycle, follow up with the client to check the status and outlook for this contract.

Please upload an upright photo of yourself to your profile.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir,

Our account is suspended and I need to rectify it. When I try to get to support/zendesk, the system errors out and I cannot reach anyone to help. What do I do?

Thanks.

lysis10
Community Member

"our account" is what got you into trouble. Profiles are supposed to be 1 person.

Our account seems to have gone 'poof'

anima9
Community Member

lol so you made another one? Congrats on getting a perma ban!

Hi Amy,

I see you responded on the ticket you received an hour ago, our team will follow up soon.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
arqdia
Community Member

Hello Vladimir. 

I have an hourly contract that is on hold, I have a few questions about this. 

if the client decide not to rectify his payment, do I still get paid? and how?

(I used the tracker)

Hi Diego,

If the client doesn't address the issue with their account and the payment fails the team will review your logged hours against the terms of the Hourly Payment Protection and let you know about the outcome. Please, make sure not to work on the contract while its suspended.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kiranshahzadi26
Community Member

Hello,

I have received an email from Upwork that my contract is on hold/temporarily suspended. I received the payment today from my client. Does this mean that the contract is active now? Please note I do not receive any email from Upwork confirming that the contract is active. So, I am not sure if the contract is active or not. 

Hi Kiran,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello Nikola,

I am experiencing the same issue with my existing long-term trustworthy client. His account is temporarily suspended thus my contract is temporarily paused by Upwork. We already communicated about this and he said he already fixed the issue with his payment method. He also mentioned Upwork billing was successfully paid in Paypal 2 days ago so he's confused why it is still suspended and not yet resolved. I also received the payment today from last week's work and I also did not receive an email from Upwork regarding the temporary suspension unlike before so I am not sure what is the current stats. Can you check this for us, please? Contract ID # 30414713 - how long do you think it can be resolved and active again? Thanks so much!!!

4932c4f2
Community Member

Hello! Yesterday I received an email that the contract I'm working on is suspended and today it just suddenly ended without payment. I'm completely shocked and clueless as we also agreed with client to extend the current deadline.

Hi Vitalii,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
maotoshu
Community Member

Hi. I am new on upwork and dont know much. On 18th i.e. 6 days ago i got my first order, the payment method was verified had a blue tick and client seemed good so i took the order. I completed the report in a day and submitted to the client but he didn't respond. However yesterday when i asked him he said the report was exactly what he wanted. Later as job was done i asked him to close the contract but he didn't respond. 

Today in the morning i got email from upwork that the contract is on hold and temporarily suspended. What could be the possible reason, did i do some wrong, will i get my payment? 

Ps the payment method had a blue tick and was verified and currently its in escrow. 

Please guide, i could provide screenshot if needed.

Hi Mahnoor,

I am sorry to hear about your contract. A contract on hold indicates that your client's Upwork account has some issue that prevents you from billing them until it is fixed. We cannot disclose the details of your clients' accounts for privacy reasons, but there are various possible causes for this situation.

We advise you to stop working right away and contact your client to resolve any pending issues on their account. You can refer to this help page for more information.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths