cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contracts/Payment

lambertleonard
Leonard L Member Since: Mar 8, 2018
1 of 9

I finished a small, 1-hour job for a non-verified payment client. 

It shows I completed the job.

But why is this not showing in any of my payment-based reports (like "earnings by Client"...it shows "No earnings for the selected range (March 1-8). The assignment was completed on the 7th. 

The information DOES show on my weekly timesheet report that the client was billed for 1 hour of work.

Does this mean the client is refusing to pay after being billed? (They were "payment not verified client"...it was a small project, so I took a chance on a "payment not verified" client). Or does it just take longer for "payment not verified" clients to process their payments?

How will I know if the client actually paid? (And if I will actually get paid for my work)

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
2 of 9
Never start on a contract until the payment has been verified.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

If the client's payment method is still not verified you will and can not get paid until the verification is completed. You will have received an email outlining that fact in no uncertain terms.

raina5
Community Leader
Kate R Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
4 of 9

Was it a rush project? Agree, its necessary to wait for payment verification, but that doesn;t help now. I do think it can take a while for payment to be verified, so hopefully that will happen eventually and you will be paid, or you can send the client a message and say that you see his payment method hasn;t been verified and is there anything you can do to help this along? And I guess obviously if all is lost, you havent lost that much and you've gained an experience. (I've gained a lot of those along the way :-) good luck!

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 9

Leonard, going forward, if a client offers you a contract, do not accept it until the client verifies payment method. It's ok to send a proposal to a client with unverified payment but let the client know you won't accept an offer until payment is verified.

Leonard L Member Since: Mar 8, 2018
6 of 9

It was, indeed, a short, rush project.  It was also low-risk to do this...I had never accepted a "payment not verified" client...for this exact reason...

astro_writer
Ace Contributor
Sapna D Member Since: Feb 1, 2018
7 of 9

@Leonard L wrote:

I had never accepted a "payment not verified" client...for this exact reason...

Hi Leonard, it's totally fine to accept a client without verified payment--just make sure to tell them you can't start work until they verify payment.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
8 of 9

@Leonard L wrote:

I finished a small, 1-hour job for a non-verified payment client. 

It shows I completed the job.

But why is this not showing in any of my payment-based reports (like "earnings by Client"...it shows "No earnings for the selected range (March 1-8). The assignment was completed on the 7th. 

The information DOES show on my weekly timesheet report that the client was billed for 1 hour of work.

Does this mean the client is refusing to pay after being billed? (They were "payment not verified client"...it was a small project, so I took a chance on a "payment not verified" client). Or does it just take longer for "payment not verified" clients to process their payments?

How will I know if the client actually paid? (And if I will actually get paid for my work)

Clients don't see their bill until the work week has ended, Monday morning. You finished the work yesterday. They can't pay the bill until next week, at which point it goes into the security period, and you're paid the following week.

On your Reports Overview, the work should be showing under "Work in Progress." At midnight UTC on Sunday, it should move to "In Review." Review the weekly billing cycle here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

You should not have been able to bill hours on the contract at all if the payment wasn't verified - a client cannot begin an hourly contract without a payment method.

k_nadel
Community Leader
Kevin C. N Member Since: Oct 4, 2016
9 of 9

@Jess C wrote:

Clients don't see their bill until the work week has ended, Monday morning. You finished the work yesterday. They can't pay the bill until next week, at which point it goes into the security period, and you're paid the following week.

On your Reports Overview, the work should be showing under "Work in Progress." At midnight UTC on Sunday, it should move to "In Review." Review the weekly billing cycle here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

You should not have been able to bill hours on the contract at all if the payment wasn't verified - a client cannot begin an hourly contract without a payment method.

Yep, all of this is right, I was about to reply the same thing, need to wait billing cycle before it shows up and can't start hourly contract without verification so no need to panic

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS