» Forums » Freelancers » Contracts and payment have become confused
Page options
vango44
Community Member

Contracts and payment have become confused

This concerns two contracts with the same client:

25635401 for $25

25678211 for $175

This client and I agreed to work under the $25 contract. Shortly, the work became much more complex; we verbally agreed that it would now be worth $175. He considers the work to be highly sensitive, to be kept secret, and so we communicated somewhat by email.

The client is new to Upwork and he put $175 in escrow. I thought I could modify the contract but instead it turned out I created a new contract. He asked me to cancel the new contract, I did that, and I was asked to refund the $175 amount in escrow.

I guess it is natural that he was worried about losing his money, or paying twice. He claimed his money is still in escrow. The original contract was not a fixed price contract, but I had worked a few hours by this time without using the app, not registering the hours I worked, and so I cannot be paid under that contract.

I suggested he change the contract to a fixed price contract and change the amount from $25 to $175 as agreed, but he is still afraid I have already been paid. We are both calm and polite about it, but are not sure what to do.

I would appreciate it if you could look at the way this has gone off the rails and suggest a way to achieve what we want. I have completed all the work, he is happy with the agreed price. Tell us where his money is, please, and how we can complete the transaction.

I can provide the two message room numbers involved in this matter.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Donald G wrote:

I would appreciate it if you could look at the way this has gone off the rails and suggest a way to achieve what we want.

Tell us where his money is, please, and how we can complete the transaction.

This didn't "go" off the rails. You pushed it off the rails 😄

The funds from the cancelled contracts are already on the way back to the client's payment method if you agreed to the return of the escrow funds. This can take up to 5 business days, but is usually faster.

The client can very easily just pay you as a bonus on either of the contracts, even the closed one.

Donald G wrote:

I suggested he change the contract to a fixed price contract and change the amount from $25 to $175 as agreed

For future reference, neither is possible.  Contracts can't be changed from hourly to fixed or the other way around.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Donald G wrote:

I would appreciate it if you could look at the way this has gone off the rails and suggest a way to achieve what we want.

Tell us where his money is, please, and how we can complete the transaction.

This didn't "go" off the rails. You pushed it off the rails 😄

The funds from the cancelled contracts are already on the way back to the client's payment method if you agreed to the return of the escrow funds. This can take up to 5 business days, but is usually faster.

The client can very easily just pay you as a bonus on either of the contracts, even the closed one.

Donald G wrote:

I suggested he change the contract to a fixed price contract and change the amount from $25 to $175 as agreed

For future reference, neither is possible.  Contracts can't be changed from hourly to fixed or the other way around.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members