elysium786

Contradictions in oDesk Agency Membership plans

Dear All,

I think, i see some contradictions in oDesk membership plans and I pointed out these to the CSR and she advised me to post this on this forum to get some suport from all of you if you think, I am right. Below is the Chat which is self explanatory for you people.

Best Regards,

Rizwan

**edited for Community Guidelines**

13 REPLIES 13
suznee

I would remove the chat dialog as it is against forum policy

maltech

That was a very confusing conversation.

I have not even delved into the Agency side of this new connect system yet. It would be interesting to know the answers to your questions as well.

So let me break that wall of text down and perhaps one of the community managers can address this issue.

Point 1: He was not able to apply on behalf of his agency contractors using his free agency connects.

Point 2 from oDesk Support: He needs to upgrade to Agency plus to apply for his contractors, is this true.

Point 3, taken from point 2. Why have free agencies at all if you have to be Agency Plus to apply on behalf of your contractors.

@Charles C wrote:

Point 3, taken from point 2. Why have free agencies at all if you have to be Agency Plus to apply on behalf of your contractors.

Charles, based on what the customer service rep said, a one-person free Agency can apply on behalf of him or herself. Although I can't see any point in creating a one-person agency, I do perceive its usefulness in allowing oDesk to maintain that membership is optional for Agencies.

I created a one person agency for the sole purpose of protecting my DBA name. I almost never ever use it.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhhamad and others,

That is correct. Basic Agency Plan is meant for single-person agencies and therefore does not allow you to add team members, apply to jobs on behalf of team members, or assign work to others.

Please, find more information about Membership plans for agencies in this help article.

~ Valeria
Upwork

So I can use my agency connects to apply to jobs for myself. Then use my own connects to also apply, in theory getting 2x the connects? This does not seem right at all.... Or... does applying for a job with my agency connects also remove those connects from my freelancer account?

Hi Charles,

Your agency and freelancer connects, billing, and earnings will all be kept completely separate. On Basic Agency Plan you can use your agency connects to apply for jobs as an agency owner. The connects from your freelancer plan can only be used to apply to jobs as an independent freelancer.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Free agencies can't apply to jobs at all now even though I'm the owner and applying for myself. There appears to be some bug.

How do agencies work and why somebody would work with an agency? I suppose there is a certain commision taken by the organization.

Hi Hassan,

There is an issue that our engineering team is currently working on that prevents some agency owners to apply for jobs. Please contact Customer Support for more information. We appreciate your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

As Charles stated

So I can use my agency connects to apply to jobs for myself. Then use my own connects to also apply, in theory getting 2x the connects? This does not seem right at all.... Or... does applying for a job with my agency connects also remove those connects from my freelancer account?

Isn't this a work-around to get 2x connects for the month? I assume not all clients are against hiring an agency as only a few ever state "NO Agency"

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

Last year I was occasionally acting as an agency on oDesk and it worked very well - I could start a small contract that wasn't worth me working on it personally by hiring someone else with the skills and then manage them.

It wouldn't make much money initially but I could then scale it up over time once I'd won the client's trust.

The agency system was free - oDesk took their normal 10% of whatever was charged to the client and that was it.

Now I have to pay $20/month to do the same thing! This is a huge increase in price, and noly appropriate if you have a large number of workers (up to unlimited!)

The free agency option is now called 'Basic' and it's completely pointless - you are a 'single-person agency'. ie you are a worker!!

According to Upwork (pasted from a support chat),

"The Agency Plus plan is designed to help our largest and most professional agencies stand apart from other freelancers and single-person agencies"

I'm not a large agency, but I don't want to be a single-person agency. I want to hire a few extra people here and there and make a bit of extra money, and gradually build up my size. I used to be able to do this without taking on extra cost and risk, and now I can't.

There needs to be a middle ground. Surely if oDesk was profitable before without extra monthly charges (after all they were taking 10% already) then Upwork should still be able to do it without extra charge now, esp for small agencies (less than 5 members).

That way small agencies can be profitable from the start, build up relationships and reliable staff, and become big agencies which will make Upwork even more money. Win win.

I agree. This is a strange change. 

Couldn't the Free Agency include maybe up to 10 contractors or something?

Otherwise I can't, for the life of me, figure out the use of a free agency plan.

Thanks!

Sage