cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversation and time-tracking

Igor S Member Since: Dec 8, 2014
1 of 10

You make the finishing touch, click "Stop time tracking", and write to the customer: "All done, please take a look. Looking forward to your feedback".

Or, do you make the finishing touch, write to the customer "All done, please take a look.  Looking forward to your feedback", and then click "Stop time tracking"?

Do you track the project discussion as working time at all?

Regards,
Igor S
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 10
Igor, how you handle this is really up to you. Just be sure to clearly mark what you are doing using memos.

As a contractor, you have a lot of power when it comes to deciding when to bill... As long as you only bill for time you're really spending on behalf of the client.

Personally I often bill discussion time with clients, but I don't always do so.
Dominique V Member Since: Jan 13, 2019
3 of 10

You often, but don't always do so? Ehe

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 10

I second what Preston said, plus don't think it really makes a difference in your example because the tracker records it in random 10 minute intervals so 20 seconds won't make a difference. That said, as a contractor, I do a mix of both. I don't always track every minute or even hour of what I do, but I do run the tracker when in meetings, discussions and reviews.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
5 of 10

I used to not track conversations with clients but now I track almost everything that has to do with the client and their work. Plus a few of my clients are fond of writing long messages and I have to spend 10 minutes+ replying. 

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 10

As Krisztina said, the time tracker does one random log within a period of ten minutes; therefore something that takes seconds to do will not affect the time logged. You will lose some time here, and gain some time there, but it eventually evens out.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Igor S Member Since: Dec 8, 2014
7 of 10

Thanks you all for the answers. To clarify what I meant: it was a general question, whether you bill the time you spent in conversations about project.

Sorry if my wording caused a confusion. I know, 20 seconds do not matter when we track the time.

I got several clients in a row who I spent a lot of time talking to. Actually, I spent more time discussing the project than working on. I have a feeling that writing of emails became my main occupation lately, and this is a bit frustrating, since I do not charge for this. So, just wondering whether you do.

Regards,
Igor S
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
8 of 10

I definitely track it.  If they catch me off guard, I add manual time to cover it although that's a pain in the neck.  Working in legal firms, I learned to track everything!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 10

Yeah, Igor, if you're talking to these clients about their project, they're using your time. You really need to be tracking this time and charging them for it.

If you're not typing and doing things on the computer, but talking to them on the phone, you need to use manual time to add the time so they are billed for it.

If you're typing back and forth to them using email or chat, you can track that with the regular time-tracker.

Community Leader
Pravin K Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
10 of 10

If the conversation is a general discussion, I don't track it.

If my client has asked me to send periodical or end of the day reports or submission, I would be sure to track the activity. 

You are spending your time on your client's project. The client may ask your ideas, suggestions, or anything related to the work.

If the activity is more than 3 minutes, make sure to track it. Some clients may not like the idea. Have a word with your client about it and tread carefully.

Pravin

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS