🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Phone Number Entry
Page options
2e294a34
Community Member

Correct phone number format

Hi. Please help correctly enter the Russian phone number +7 ### ### ## ## in the field (###) ############

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mcadamous
Community Member

@Sergei M
Please change the post you marked as the solution, it is very confusing as its not actually the solution.

To anyone else experiencing this issue and getting frustrated by the "copy pasta" answer from Upwork representatives:

The correct format is not a standard format for phone numbers, so here is how you can convert your number to be valid in the phone number field:

Step 1:
Write out your full international phone number as you normally would with the "+" symbol or "00" (if you don't know your country's dialing code, you can find it at https://countrycode.org/)
e.g.

UK: +447922222222, DE 00491622222222, ES +43692222222, US +15552222222

Step 2:
Work out what your countries international code is
e.g. 

UK: +44, DE 0049, ES +43, US +1

Step 3:
Remove the "+" symbol or "00" and surround the numbers with brackets ()
e.g. 

UK: (44), DE (49), ES (43), US (1)

Step 4:
Add a space after the brackets and put in the rest of your phone number.
Using the examples above, you should end up with the following:

UK: (44) 7922222222, DE (49) 1622222222, ES (43) 692222222, US (1) 5552222222

IMPORTANT: Only your country code without "00" and without the "+" symbol should appear in the brackets "( )" AND the brackets must be followed by one single blank space " ".

Upwork Support Representatives:
A tip!
When you come across a question that is repeatedly asked, with the same "copy-paste" answer from the knowledgebase - but people are still not able to solve, it shows that the answer is either incomplete, inaccurate or not clear enough. Instead of just repeating the same thing over and over again hoping it would solve it, you should actively escalate the issue to whichever department is responsible for maintaining documentation.
To have 10 pages of the same user frustrations with the same answer from your team is frankly ridiculous. Feel free to copy my steps and answer above to be submitted for the documentation.

Upwork Development Team:

I doubt you will read this, but your configured regex is not in line with any international standards for validating phone numbers. This should be modified immediately. You are an international platform with access to some of the best developers across the world. Mistakes like this should not happen.

View solution in original post

141 REPLIES 141

Yes i can't also add phone number 
its showing me "Enter phone number in (###) ############ format" while i'm adding phone number in (countrycode) phone number 

Hi Raj,

Please try adding the phone number in this format "(country code) phone number" without the plus (+) sign for the country code, make sure to wrap the country code in brackets and add a space between the country code and the phone number.

~ Joanne
Upwork

try deleting the "+"
(63) 09XXXXXXXXX

umeshsquidz
Community Member

Hi Umesh,

Please try adding the phone number in this format "(country code) phone number" without the plus (+) sign for the country code, make sure to wrap the country code in brackets and add a space between the country code and the phone number.

~ Joanne
Upwork
blossoms91
Community Member

I am trying to add my bank account details on the page.  It is asking to add my phone number with the format:

Enter phone number in (###) ############ format.

I added my mobile and number and still the same error keeps popping up. See screenshot.

What's wrong? 

Hi Kiele,

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi, can't add either for UK phone number, none works - with/without "+" just country code, my full number only, with 0044 or 44. How to solve it? 

Hi Renata,

Please add your country code in brackets () and then add the rest of your number. Please don't add any signs, and don't forget to add space after the brackets. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

This is example of disgusting UX. Please, hire some UI/UX and fix it. The idea to have whitespace among 12-15 digits absolutely ridiculous!

Best regards

suraviriya
Community Member

My country code is (+880)

and number is 01xxxxxxxxx

How to format this in

(###) ############ format ???????????????????

Hi Suravi,

Please remove the plus sign from your country code, add space after the brackets and then add the rest of your number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks A Lots.. It worked.
101_techdocs
Community Member

Hi,

I'm trying to add my bank account as a method of receiving payment.

When inputting my details in the form for this, the format proposed in the mandatory field for phone number is not the correct format for phone numbers in FRANCE, where I live.

So, it is impossible to save the form and hence impossible to add my bank account.

(unless I'm missing something...)

For info, the phone number format in France is 01 23 45 67 89 or +33 1 23 45 67 89 from outside France.

Any ideas?

Hi Brian,

Please add your number in this format: (country code) phone number, please don't add any signs and don't forget to add space after the brackets. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
gulcancangur
Community Member

Hi there!

So I am trying to set up my payment method and I cant fit my phone number to the required format, I try different combinations but it doesnt work. So my phone number is like this: +00 000 000 000

How do I fit this to a (xxx) xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.... sort of format?

Hi Gulcan,

~ Joanne
Upwork
0adb39e4
Community Member

I am unable to put in my phone number correctly when creating a profile, it keeps on telling me 'phone number must be digits' i don't understand.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anna, 

Please try adding the phone number in this format - (country code) phone number, without the plus (+) sign for the country area and making sure to wrap the country code in brackets. Please also add a space between the country code and the phone number.

Let us know if you need further help and our team will assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
0adb39e4
Community Member

Thankyou, I tried doing that but it still isn't working for me. It comes up with the same message.

Hi Anna,

Could you please share a screenshot capturing the format of the number you`re using and the error you`re receiving? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
346f3d15
Community Member

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths