Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corruption of Attached Microsoft Excel Files

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
1 of 31

Upwork,

Every Microsoft Excel file a client has sent me as an attachment to a message today has been rejected by my Chrome browswer with the error message:

"File is dangerous, so Chrome blocked it."

Using the new Microsoft Edge browser on an attachment resulted in this error message:

“Excel cannot open the file ‘xxx.xlsx’ because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.”

I asked the client to send the same file directly via email and it opened without incident.

What's going on here?

louisaj
Community Guru
Louisa J Member Since: Apr 12, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 31

This started last night. The only way around it right now is to very temporary switch off the privacy setting in Google Chrome settings and then switch it back on after downloading. I had my client do a check their end and there was no virus, so I came on here last night and saw it was happening again, so quickly disabled my chrome settings, downloaded the file, then popped the security back on. 

View solution in original post

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
3 of 31

Thanks, Louisa.

I hope this gets fixed quickly. I don't like to fiddle with my browser settings - there's no telling what the knock-on effects will be - so I'll have my clients send me their files via email for the time being.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 31

This is a big problem... and a frequently recurring one, if one relies on Upwork for file transfers.

Professional level freelancers aware of this avoid using Upwork for serious file transfer needs and use other methods. FTP, Dropbox, email, etc.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 31

Preston H wrote:

Professional level freelancers aware of this avoid using Upwork for serious file transfer needs and use other methods. FTP, Dropbox, email, etc.

And, of course, we won't be able to do that anymore before being hired come the 26th...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 31

re: "And, of course, we won't be able to do that anymore before being hired come the 26th..."

We will still be able to use FTP before being hired.

As this is going to be Upwork's preferred explicitly allowed alternative file transfer method... anyone not familiar with FTP should become so.

I absolutely adore FTP.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 31

Preston H wrote:

I absolutely adore FTP.

I'm sure FTP is thrilled to hear that... I'm sure clients will be equally thrilled to have to learn how to use FTP just to get a price for some work they need doing.

Preston H wrote:

As this is going to be Upwork's preferred explicitly allowed alternative file transfer method... 

It is? According to whom?

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
8 of 31

I'm a professional, Preston, and probably send and receive at least 5 - 10 Excel files per day as attachments to Upwork messages.

Even if other freelancers already have problems sending files in other formats or larger sizes, that is not an excuse for accepting new weaknesses in the messaging system.

I don't remember ever having this problem before and hope Upwork will very soon fix whatever problem has been introduced over the past 24 hours. I REALLY don't want to have to rely on multiple messaging systems to get my Upwork-related work done.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
9 of 31

In the past Upwork's upload software has removed content from files that it deems suspicious, mutilating even macro-free files like .xlsx and .docx. I would guess that its mutilation algorithm is now also leaving the files in a corrupted state. That said, I thought that after previous complaints they introduced an option for users to choose to download the original, unmutilated file. Are you seeing that option? (I haven't seen for myself as I rarely send files through the Upwork app any more.)

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
10 of 31

Thanks, Richard.

I do remember they introduced that option but have never had to use it.

If Upwork has now decided it will force us to use the messaging system differently, they need to specifically tell us.

Just making such a change without notice and leaving it to us to determine a workaround would be complete BS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS