Corruption of Attached Microsoft Excel Files

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 31

re: "It is? According to whom?"

That is a legitimate question.

I thought that this was part of the official Upwork announcement, here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Communicating-On-and-Outside-of-Upwork-Terms-of-Servic...

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.01.17 AM.png

I just now took a look.

I do NOT see FTP specified there.
Now Dropbox is specified.

Moreover Upwork's "integration" is specified.

I thought that using an FTP site which doesn't require email address (as is common) was specified previously in an official Upwork posting, maybe even in this very location.

But after re-reading this page carefully, I think I remembered this wrong.

I remembered thinking that FTP was explicitly named by Upwork. But I can't find that anywhere.

I think using FTP to share files prior to having a contract is clearly allowed, because FTP can be used without sharing contact inormation.

But Upwork's official announcement about this policy actually identifies Dropbox by name AND states that an email address CAN BE SHARED if this is done for the purpose of sharing files.

So that would mean that any number of file-sharing methods would be allowed...

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
12 of 31

I've been having this problem since yesterday as well - a client sent me a bunch of files attached to the message board, and all of them were blocked as "unsafe". Of course I opened a Dropbox folder and asked him to use that instead, but he seemed annoyed by the inconvenience and told me that there was nothing wrong with his files (which was undoubtedly true). I don't know why this happened; the files weren't large or unusual in any way, and I've never had trouble downloading files from the message board before. Upwork does need to look into this.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
13 of 31

GOOD NEWS!

I've been able to download a file from Upwork Messages. I know I said I rarely do that any more, but it just so happens a client sent me a file that way a couple of days ago. I hadn't yet looked at it, and I forgot that I'd already downloaded it, so I just tried downloading it again. I got the same Chrome error message that other people have described. I didn't click the "Discard" button, and when I looked at the download folder I found the file there, although it had been renamed to "Unconfirmed 500905.crdownload". I just renamed it to the correct name, with extension, and presto it's perfectly OK. Since I then realised that I'd downloaded the file already, I was even able to compare it with the version I downloaded normally (before this problem started), and they're identical.

Incidentally, this is is a macro-enable Excel file (.xlsm) and its macros are intact.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
14 of 31

P.S. So my theory that Upwork had corrupted the file turned out to be false. There must be something else that's making Chrome suspicious.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 31

Richard W wrote:

P.S. So my theory that Upwork had corrupted the file turned out to be false. There must be something else that's making Chrome suspicious.

But this is a problem too - I don't want to just ignore error messages, in case any files really are corrupt. This only started happening to me yesterday, so something must have changed within the past few days.

ffoytek
Frances F Member Since: Jun 15, 2020
16 of 31

**Edited for Community Guidelines**, for some reason I'm having getting a "This file is Dangerous, so Chrome has blocked it." message when I try to open up attachments posted here on UpWork. I don't know if it is associated with the new UpWork rule of no prior contact before a contract is open or not. I will post this message also on the UpWork help site. Thank you for considering me for your project.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
17 of 31

Hi Frances,

I would like to confirm that we have a known problem and would recommend using Firefox to download your files. If you`re still experiencing the same problem, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
18 of 31

Thanks for confirming there is a known problem that Upwork is working to resolve, Goran.

In the future, Upwork should push out notification to all users when it becomes aware of such a "known" problem. We users shouldn't have to find out from others that there is a problem and try to figure out workarounds for each other.

Can we expect to be notified by Upwork when a fix is made, or do we just have to keep trying to use Chrome until it works correctly again?

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
19 of 31

Hi Will,

Rest assured, we will post an update here once this is resolved. I will also share your feedback with our team about sending informational notifications. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
samlienhard
Samantha L Member Since: Jun 15, 2020
20 of 31

After reading this thread, I tried to download my files with Firefox instead, but it also gave me a warning saying the files were dangerous.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS