cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corruption of Attached Microsoft Excel Files

storyteller1
R. Lee B Member Since: Aug 28, 2018
21 of 31

Unless the source of the problem has been fixed, switching to Firefox will not help. Files are also marked as "dangerous" and blocked from downloading by Firefox as well.

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
22 of 31

Hi all,

We appreciate your patience while we were getting this fixed. I'd like to confirm that the issue has been resolved and you should be able to access attachments in Messages now. If you still run into any issues, please let us know.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
davidcmarcus
Ace Contributor
David M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
23 of 31

It seems this gremlin has returned, but in a .doc file this time.

It's really embarrassing when a client receives a file with content different than what was sent, without any explanation that the file has been altered!

Please can you investigate?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
24 of 31

Hi David,

I'm sorry about the frustration actions our security systems might have taken on the file you provided created. You might be already aware but just noting that in some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas or active content that is deemed potentially malicious. 

That said, I asked our team to check the file in question to confirm if the content in question was removed by malware scanning system and if it was, if the content was actioned in accordance to our internal procedures.

Untitled
davidcmarcus
Ace Contributor
25 of 31

Thank you Vladimir

In my case the attached document was plain text, no formulas, macros, hyperlinks, not even anything bold or italicised or underlined!

The last paragraph was simply removed.

The worst part is that this was part of a test job to see if I had the appropriate skills, but somehow Upwork decided to physically alter my document.

If you're going to make alterations, surely an extra line of code won't hurt which informs both parties of exactly which content was removed is the right thing to do?

At a minimum use one of your blue flashy radio buttons to alert that there has been a change made.

I'd love to know which part of the plain text was deemed malicious in this case...

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi David,

I'm sorry about the frustration actions our security systems might have taken on the file you provided created. You might be already aware but just noting that in some cases, malware scanning will remove embedded macros, formulas or active content that is deemed potentially malicious. 

That said, I asked our team to check the file in question to confirm if the content in question was removed by malware scanning system and if it was, if the content was actioned in accordance to our internal procedures.

vladag
Community Manager
26 of 31

Thanks for the follow-up, David. I can confirm I had identified the paragraph in question and already asked our team to review it. I won't be able to provide any other information at the moment but will follow up with you directly with an update, to confirm whether the content in your file was removed by our team and if it was done in line with our internal procedures or not.

Untitled
davidcmarcus
Ace Contributor
27 of 31
After wasting half an hour of my life trying to respond to your message privately on three separate devices, it seems this is the only way to respond to you Vladimir.

The simple answer is:
Yes, it’s the original file I’ve attached to several messages and emailed to customer support.
However it’s blatantly obvious that if one keeps using the same method to upload a file - which is the problem we’re dealing with, then another method up upload is required - either email or Dropbox.
This is really frustrating and unnecessary.
Please fix your hopelessly inefficient systems as a priority before introducing unnecessary features that continually piss off the community!
vladag
Community Manager
28 of 31

Hi David,

I'm sorry about the issue you experienced trying to respond to my private message.

Thanks for confirming. Our team checked and confirmed that our security system didn't action or modify the doc you attached in Messages. Our team compared the doc you uploaded to the doc you provided yesterday and it appears that two docs are identical. The question I sent you earlier today was intended to double-confirm you've provided the source file. Is it possible you might have uploaded one version of the doc and later modified it without uploading it again?

I've had a lengthy conversation with our team that conducted the investigation, reviewed and compared all the files, both from Messages and the one you additionally provided. They found that the file your client received is exactly byte to byte the same doc that you provided yesterday. I can also verify this by comparing the source doc and the PDF you subsequently shared with your client, with the source doc not including the last paragraph in question that is part of the PDF file.

Untitled
davidcmarcus
Ace Contributor
29 of 31

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi David,

I'm sorry about the issue you experienced trying to respond to my private message.

Thanks for confirming. Our team checked and confirmed that our security system didn't action or modify the doc you attached in Messages. Our team compared the doc you uploaded to the doc you provided yesterday and it appears that two docs are identical. The question I sent you earlier today was intended to double-confirm you've provided the source file. Is it possible you might have uploaded one version of the doc and later modified it without uploading it again?

I've had a lengthy conversation with our team that conducted the investigation, reviewed and compared all the files, both from Messages and the one you additionally provided. They found that the file your client received is exactly byte to byte the same doc that you provided yesterday. I can also verify this by comparing the source doc and the PDF you subsequently shared with your client, with the source doc not including the last paragraph in question that is part of the PDF file.

So my client was sent the exact same file twice, and has provided a screen shot of what it looks like on their end (mysteriously missing the last paragraph)

It sounds like your team is going to write this one off as "solved" however it is not.

Why would I ask you to investigate if there was any doubt as to version control?

There is only one file with one date and when using the Upwork system to upload files, it has somehow been modified on the other end.

In future I'll refrain from using Upwork to upload files if this is the best response you can come up with.

To others reading this, please be reminded that Upwork clearly still has an issue with modifying files whether they choose to admit it or not, so use it at your own peril!

vladag
Community Manager
30 of 31

Hi David,

I'm sorry you feel this way. Again, even disregarding the findings our team shared which are a product of a detailed and meticulous review, I personally can confirm that the last paragraph in question, which is part of the later provided PDF file and the content in question here, isn't appearing in the file you shared with me yesterday, which is the source file.

Feel free to follow up with me directly if you have any other information you'd like to provide and I'll be glad to look into this further and get our team involved. We are committed into investigating each and every report of potential problems on our platform and confirming if it's an issue or not.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS