Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost per word

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
41 of 47

Andrea,

Petra is an exeception charging hourly. I normally don't even touch hourly jobs. I did on Elance with returning clients and have done here too, for jobs simply too small for a fixed price. The hourly rate then is nothing but another way of charging per word. With no real minimum for fixed price jobs here, there is no need to circumvent the minimum fee we had on Elance.

Another reason for a high hourly rate (even if one doesn't accept hourly jobs) is that clients actually invite more with a high rate than with a low rate (at least my experience). I received more fitting job invites at 45/h than at 25/h.

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
42 of 47

Thanks Joachim,

your advices are very practical. I will make the most of your words, thanks!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
43 of 47

@Joachim M wrote:

Andrea,

Petra is an exeception charging hourly.

Joachim, on oDesk it wasn't the exception, but I have to point out that the majority of my 7000 + hours were not translation work, in fact over the past couple of years translations accounted for maybe 1-2% of my Upwork income including fixed rate jobs.

Xuan R Member Since: May 26, 2018
44 of 47

Xuan R Member Since: May 26, 2018
45 of 47

For a proof-reading job offer, someone offered me $0.0006 per word for editing and proof-reading. I kid you not. This person wanted 450 000 words (on average could be 100, 000 to 200, 000 words more) a month, taking up 3-4 hours of time a day, for $300 a month. On UpWork. Which after deduction is $260 a month. I turned down the offer, even though I am entry level.

The lowest I would go, is $0.01 per word. Am I being a spoilt brat? Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
46 of 47

The typical person reads relatively simple English at a rate of 200 words per minute. That's 12,000 words per hour. 450,000 words would take 37.5 hours just to read for comprehension -- without any editing at all. If you could magically edit well at that speed you'd be making $7.20 at the rate the client requested.

I've received invites to fixed rate jobs where the amount offered wasn't enough to justify the time to even read and understand the project description.

Clients routinely ask for ridiculous things; so do freelancers. Gotta just skim and move on.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
47 of 47

@Xuan R wrote:

For a proof-reading job offer, someone offered me $0.0006 per word for editing and proof-reading. I kid you not. This person wanted 450 000 words (on average could be 100, 000 to 200, 000 words more) a month, taking up 3-4 hours of time a day, for $300 a month. On UpWork. Which after deduction is $260 a month. I turned down the offer, even though I am entry level.

The lowest I would go, is $0.01 per word. Am I being a spoilt brat? Smiley Tongue

No. I turn down anything offering less than $0.03 per word for proofreading. I also insist that the text was translated by a native speaker and not by Google Translate.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS