cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone offer some explanation?

nigil800
Nigil A Member Since: Mar 1, 2014
1 of 3
Hello, reader. I hope that you are having a great day. What does it mean when a job application is rejected for the reason of an inappropriate job posting? I ask because I have had a few applications turned down for that reason. In regards to one of those jobs, the client asked for a copy of my driver's license in order to verify my identity for the security of the client for which he works. He says I will be given my contract explaining the job after he receives the copy. I sent the copy to an email address, which he says is of his scheduler. That was yesterday. Today, I looked in my archived job application section and find that my application had been declined. I am concerned that the gentleman may commit fraud against me or some other person or organization using the copy. Should I be concerned? Should I report this incident to some official on this website? I have another incident that seems suspect but involves no potential document fraud. I applied to a data entry position. I was approved as an active candidate for the position. The client sent me a message with instructions for me to follow in order to test my ability to follow directions. I had to click on a link and join a website. My browser said that it could not verify the security certificate of the website. I went anyway. When I tried to create an account, the register button would not work. I sent a message back to the lady telling her that the website was not working correctly. Also, for the last step, she wanted a link to my Facebook account, which I do not have, for some purpose that I do not recall at this time. In the message, I asked her if not having a Facebook account would be a hindrance to doing the job. She later replies with a message saying that I did not follow instructions, so I would not be offered the job. She also said that I should not worry because she would contact me for the next job posting she makes. She completely ignored my problem and my question. I am not certain if her behavior is an idiosyncrasy of hers. I had the thought that the woman is not real and that my message went to some service that sends an automatically generated message if the Facebook link is not sent. I had the thought that this job posting was some sort of fraud. I looked up the website in the link, and it appears in a Google search. McAfee SiteAdvisor rates the website as safe. What do think? Is this just how some clients act on this website, or is this an unusual circumstance? I do not wish to denigrate any client as I am aware that many of them are honest, decent people, but if someone is doing something legitimately wrong, it helps ruin the integrity of this website.
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
2 of 3
There are hackers who can gain access to legitimate businesses online and present themselves as one of those. You should never, EVER hand over your identity online. Specifically not something showing your address, DL number, or picture. Not unless you are absolutely certain that they are who they claim to be. Even then I'd keep every piece of correspondence for legal purposes. I'd even call the company to verify. Check with BBB, etc. However, don't just blatantly give your personal information to a stranger. In this respect Odesk is trying to protect contractors identity.
expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 3
The inappropriateness was -from the looks of it- entirely on the part of the client. You should ***NEVER*** send ID out to clients on oDesk: sure there might be legitimate reasons but the odds are very high that it's an identity theft. You should be concerned that you sent your ID out and you should report it by taking a support ticket out. From the fact that the job has been yanked, it looks like someone else as reported it as well. There's not a lot you can do about it now...the point to do something is the point at which you decide not to send your ID. Now the information is out there and can be used in a number of ways. Take screenshots of all the conversations in case you might need them in the future (to help convince your bank, for example, that that loan taken against your house really wasn't you and that this is how it might have happened). Your second incident looks like some sort of phishing scam. If you use the same password everywhere then you have problems. It could be to see what you use as a password so that they could try that on other services. Or it could have been a dodgy site that attempted to load your computer up with nasties. A virus scan might be a good idea at this point. But mostly if you use the same password everywhere then you need to go out and change the passwords for your other accounts - right now! Especially banking, paypal, amazon...anything where money is involved. There are sharks out there and naivety is blood in the water to them. Please -for your own sake- work on your cynicism. I put together a little guide here that may help. Wherever money and pseudo-anonymity is found; scumbags will gather.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS