🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Could this be a scam?
Page options
mahismom
Community Member

Could this be a scam?

I am brand new to Upwork. I posted for a job and got an invite. The job posting was professional and well written. The invite was not. It was full of poor grammar, missing words, and overall bad sentence structure. The invite was to do a Skype interview via a link. The payment method is unverified and the account is brand new. I have read the information regarding being new to Upwork and what to look for. I have a gut feeling this is a scam. Thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephanie,

I checked the job post you were referring to and it seems that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you. I felt something was off. I am going to reread your articles on
new freelancers and try to be much more careful from here on out. I can't
afford to lose credits on scam jobs.

Hi Stephanie,

As the job post was taken down due to TOS violation, the Connects used to submit the proposal were already refunded back to your account. You can check out Reports > Connects History page for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you!
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Hi, Stephanie,

Good job spotting the scam. Going forward, your Upwork life will be easier if you learn how terms are used here. The client posts a job and as a freelancer, you submit a proposal. The client may then ask you to interview but that is not typically referred to as an invitation (even though the notification may say they are inviting you to an interview -- I can't remember the wording). An invitation is when a client contacts you first, inviting you to submit a proposal to their job.

This may sound like tiny nit-picking but it's a lot easier to communicate with UW and in the forum if you use the same conventions. By the time you read the help materials and browse the forum a bit, you'll pick it up.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths