Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country of residence for Digital Nomads

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
31 of 62

Just an FYI to any American digital nomads- check whether you have to file a report of foreign bank accounts to the US Treasury.  The penalties for non-compliance are extremely severe.

Harvie S, are you reporting your oDesk income and any interest from your  bank account to the Thai tax authorities? As someone who files taxes to two different countries, I'm not happy with people using "digital nomad" status to avoid paying taxes.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
32 of 62

I think we should contact the Prime Minister of Digital Nomads, or an ambassador from Digital Nomads and get his or her official position on this. I know that might be hoping for a lot, but it would be helpful. If we can't get somebody that high up in the administration to comment, maybe somebody from the Digital Nomads equivalent of the IRS or simply a Digital Nomads-certified accountant could provide some perspective.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
33 of 62

@Preston H wrote:

I think we should contact the Prime Minister of Digital Nomads, or an ambassador from Digital Nomads and get his or her official position on this. I know that might be hoping for a lot, but it would be helpful. If we can't get somebody that high up in the administration to comment, maybe somebody from the Digital Nomads equivalent of the IRS or simply a Digital Nomads-certified accountant could provide some perspective.

Well if the NSA forwards this to the IRS and Immigration he might have a problem entering the US. I still remember this German girl that was sent back to Germany right at the US airport. Immigration had been informed that she chatted on Facebook with her cousin living legally in the US that she would take care of the children should her cousin want to have an evening out. Immigration stated that she wanted to work illegally in the US.

This widget could not be displayed.
34 of 62
This widget could not be displayed.

Is "Digital Nomads" a synonym for "I do not want to pay taxes anywhere?" 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
35 of 62

"Is "Digital Nomads" a synonym for "I do not want to pay taxes anywhere?" "

LOL It's funny cuz it's true.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
36 of 62

My previous post in this thread may seem to be gently teasing those who claim Digital Nomad status. But let me be completely serious for a moment and point out that I think people who travel and work while doing so are beneficial to the places they travel to.

I am not in charge of the laws anywhere. I have no special knowledge of tax laws anywhere. I don't even travel. I get around on a bicycle and I never leave Tempe, which is 40.2 sq. miles in size. So I'm not a "Digital Nomad."

But if I was the King of Country X, this would be my decree:

"Digital Nomads: You want to come to my country, spend money on food, rent, supplies, entertainment, etc? And while you are here you will be working digitally for clients around the world, using up hardly any of my country's resources while bringing in money from other countries? And I don't need to provide you with welfare benefits or use my country's tax revenue to pay for you to go to college or anything like that? It sounds like a net win for my country.

"I have found you and your kind to be hard-working, intelligent, and good role models. You're industrious; not lazy like many of the citizens who were born here. So my decree is that you are welcome to stay as long as you want, work as much as you want. You don't qualify to receive benefits reserved for citizens, but I realize you're fine with that. Thank you for all the sales tax you pay and for all that you do to help create jobs and improve the economy in my country."

geigerj
Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
37 of 62

Long live King Preston!

susanned
Community Leader
Susanne D Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
38 of 62

Exactly. You just have to find the country (and not be US-citizen, as far as I know) 😉

blastofflabs
Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
39 of 62

We'll call it "The Prestonian Digital Nomad Proclamation of 2015".  Hail to Preston!

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
40 of 62

Using hardly any resources? So you will not be driving on the roads or using public transport? When you buy food, you don't care if it's inspected to be sure it's free of disease? You don't care if your water is clean? You dont care if your garbage never gets picked up? If you're robbed or assaulted, you don't care if the police don't come? If your house is on fire , you don't care if the fire department doesn't come to put the fire out?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS