Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country of residence for Digital Nomads

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
61 of 62

Preston,

Whether there are 2600 pages of tax law and regulations, or 26,000, or 26, one's obligations remain the same. No individual needs to know the tax code to file a return or pay taxes, or to have a reasonably accurate sense of one's obligations.

Modern tax filing works like differential diagnosis. The minute you answer the first question from your accountant, or from your tax software, hundreds if not thousands of inapplicable pages of laws and regulations vanish from your case. Continue stating the facts till you have a return, which will comply as far as anyone can reasonably expect with any applicable laws and regulations.

There's quite a bit of distance between, on the one hand, inquiring into what I have to do and taking reasonable steps to comply, and on the other reading and/or understanding the entirety of tax law—let alone throwing up my hands and exclaiming "I don't know nuthin' 'bout payin' no taxes!"

Best,

Michael

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
62 of 62

Michael,

I think you provided an excellent description of what I would regard as a reasonable effort to file taxes.

I think this is what most people do: Most people make a reasonable effort, using steps similar to what you describe here, whether on paper or using software, and leave it at that.

I don't see anything in your post that I disagree with.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS