🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Couple of questions regarding profiles....
Page options
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Couple of questions regarding profiles....

Hi, just a quick couple of questions....

Firstly, I am currently working on a website portfolio and was looking through my profile and settings to fins a place to add it - However, i dont seem to be able to find a specific location (though i'd have sworn ive seen it somewhere before) so if this odes not exist, are we 'allowed' to put our web address just in the general information section of the profile, or is this a NO NO?

Secondly, I signed up as a plus freelancer a couple of months back, a combination of 'having to pay for connects anyway' and the ability to not disclose previous prices.

However, in my search for info on adding a website i came across something that has made me realise that if i apply for a job through upwork, then the potential client 'WILL' see my previous prices? Am i understanding that correctly or is it JUST jobs im invited to? just want to make sure ive understood that correctly, as, if all clients see the pricing it defeats the object and im wasting money as 'plus' freelancer as it defeats the whole point (to me).

Thanks

Jon

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Jonathan H wrote:

1) Firstly, I am currently working on a website portfolio and was looking through my profile and settings to fins a place to add it - However, i dont seem to be able to find a specific location (though i'd have sworn ive seen it somewhere before)

2) so if this odes not exist, are we 'allowed' to put our web address just in the general information section of the profile, or is this a NO NO?

3) However, in my search for info on adding a website i came across something that has made me realise that if i apply for a job through upwork, then the potential client 'WILL' see my previous prices? Am i understanding that correctly or is it JUST jobs im invited to? just want to make sure ive understood that correctly, as, if all clients see the pricing it defeats the object and im wasting money as 'plus' freelancer as it defeats the whole point (to me).

1) You can't order portfolio items at will, no. I think (but am not certain) they are ordered by date so if that is the case, you can force an order by "lying" about the dates.

2) You can have a link to a site, but ONLY if that site does not have any way to contact you directly.

3) Correct, all clients (those you already work with, those who have already invited you (after you accept the invite only) and those you apply to) will see your previous rates.

For what it's worth, that function is pretty damaging. Personally, when I see a freelancer hide their previous rates I immediately get a bad feeling about that freelancer, wonder very briefly what they are trying so hard to hide, and will not invite them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Jonathan H wrote:

1) Firstly, I am currently working on a website portfolio and was looking through my profile and settings to fins a place to add it - However, i dont seem to be able to find a specific location (though i'd have sworn ive seen it somewhere before)

2) so if this odes not exist, are we 'allowed' to put our web address just in the general information section of the profile, or is this a NO NO?

3) However, in my search for info on adding a website i came across something that has made me realise that if i apply for a job through upwork, then the potential client 'WILL' see my previous prices? Am i understanding that correctly or is it JUST jobs im invited to? just want to make sure ive understood that correctly, as, if all clients see the pricing it defeats the object and im wasting money as 'plus' freelancer as it defeats the whole point (to me).

1) You can't order portfolio items at will, no. I think (but am not certain) they are ordered by date so if that is the case, you can force an order by "lying" about the dates.

2) You can have a link to a site, but ONLY if that site does not have any way to contact you directly.

3) Correct, all clients (those you already work with, those who have already invited you (after you accept the invite only) and those you apply to) will see your previous rates.

For what it's worth, that function is pretty damaging. Personally, when I see a freelancer hide their previous rates I immediately get a bad feeling about that freelancer, wonder very briefly what they are trying so hard to hide, and will not invite them.

Thank you Petra, 

It appears i need to leave my website out of my profile then as it does indeed have a contact form - glad i checked thank you.

As for the 'plus' membership - I will indeed cancel it, seems very pointless and to be honest i used it as i 'thought' that not displaying my prices would prevent new clients from dismissing me for not having enough history of jobs on a similar pay scale. However, i am realising its better to just slowly build up pricing over a longer period.

But after all that its not actually hidden from anyone relevant anyway!!!

It is actually pointless. The only decent benefit is not hiding your profile after 30 days of no payments. Obviously if you are a consistent earner then it doesn’t matter but even then you can always request your profile made public over and over.

However in my case being in FP+ netted me one invite right around when I would have been private that netted me enough money to pay for FP+ for the rest of my life. I might have caught it but I can be exceptionally lazy about such things and horrible about noticing notifications.

As for your rate, I think you give the clients too much credit. Even if they notice what cause do they have to argue it now. If they are literally saying well I would have hired him at X, but now that he is X+10 then they probably aren’t that great a client for you. It’s awkward to have to say I raised my rates but it is something you have to do.

I am not sure I agree with the start lower and incrementally rise theory that many people espouse, I suppose it depends on a lot of factors. I started higher than my street rate and was prepared to lower it if I couldn’t find work here...but I did and never had to and never will.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members