🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Cover Letter isn't showing up
Page options
vatsalchevli
Community Member

Cover Letter isn't showing up

I have been facing some problems while replying to an interview or submitting the proposal. Sometimes the Cover letter is not showing up in the proposals. It's showing empty, And because of these, I'm not able to get the attention of some of the clients. I take time to write cover letters for the job I apply.

19 REPLIES 19
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vatsal,

Just to clarify:

• When you`re accepting an invitation to interview the Cover Letter section is not listed on your end?
  • After you`ve applied you can't view the cover letter you`ve written in your proposal?

Could you please reach out to me via PM (click on my name) as well and share a screenshot from your end? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

When I apply for the interview, The cover letterbox is there. I take time
to write a cover letter and after submitting the proposal the cover letter
is getting disappear and eventually, my clients are not receiving
anything from my end in the cover letter, And it's showing blank to them.

This happened one time 1 month back and I thought it might be some
glitch and now this has happened more than 4 times with me, So I have to
write the full cover letter in the message section and send it to the
client again. But this is possible only if I'm invited and if I'm not then
clients don't see anything from my end in the cover letter and I don't get
their attention.

Hi Vatsal,

Could you please reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with the job post titles so that I can investigate this further? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Sure I would

Vatsal C wrote:
When I apply for the interview, The cover letterbox is there. I take time
to write a cover letter and after submitting the proposal the cover letter
is getting disappear and eventually, my clients are not receiving
anything from my end in the cover letter, And it's showing blank to them.

If a client didn't get your proposal, then how did they know that you tried to send one?

I think he's saying they did get the proposal, but not the cover letter.

But how would he know the cover letter is blank when the client receives the proposal? 

When I click on the View proposal there is "-" in the cover letter section. Also when we get an invitation we get to see the client's name in the sections of the message and we see our cover letter there too, and I see nothing there and a blank chat. so I have to rewrite the cover letter in the message section privately.

Hi Christine,

To add to Christine question, I also checked the jobs you`ve shared with me via PM and your cover letters are visible on the client end.
I was not able to replicate any problems with your proposals from the client end. Could you please clarify how did you noticed the problem you`re referring to?

~ Goran
Upwork

I have sent you some of the screenshots, please have a look.

Hello, thank you for getting back. The client is receiving my proposal, It's just they are not receiving anything in the cover letter section, It's showing blank to them. So when I click on "view proposal" I can see - in the cover letter and the text I wrote is not reaching to the clients, ofc this is not happening every time but this happened to me 4 times as of now

Vatsal C wrote:

Hello, thank you for getting back. The client is receiving my proposal, It's just they are not receiving anything in the cover letter section, It's showing blank to them. So when I click on "view proposal" I can see - in the cover letter and the text I wrote is not reaching to the clients, ofc this is not happening every time but this happened to me 4 times as of now

Sorry, what do you mean when you say that they're getting your proposal but not your cover letter? Your cover letter IS your proposal. 

Christine A wrote:

Vatsal C wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean when you say that they're getting your proposal but not your cover letter? Your cover letter IS your proposal. 

This happened to me for the first time this week.

I sent the proposal as usual, with cover letter and links to sample designs.

But when I go to messages, where I would usually see my proposal and continue talking with the client, there was no cover letter, only the links I had sent in the extra questions section. So it would appear to the client that I only responsded to the invitation by throwing links at them with no context.

I had to rewrite the cover letter and post it in the messages chat.

Someone please look into this?

Hi Remi,

I'm sorry to hear about this. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi,

This has happened to me as well in two responses to invites, one on Thursday and the other one on Friday.

And it seems to be happening randomly because I've replied to another invite on Thursday and everything is OK with that proposal.

Can you please check and let me know if the clients received the cover letters correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Catarina

I have raised this issue a few days back and as per my knowledge, my clients were not able to see my cover letter. It was a blank proposal for them, but they can see the answers you have submitted for the questions. Team, please have a look because earlier I thought it's only me but now this is happening with others too.

Hi Catarina,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

While I haven’t been overly active on UpWork over the last couple of months, I always respond to invites from potential clients. It’s when I noticed that despite having submitted a proposal to a prospective client, it didn’t show in the Messages as they usually do. I went back and researched this issue a bit further and found that it was the same with various other proposals I was invited to submit over the last couple of months. I confirmed this by contacting the prospective clients and none has “seen” or “received” my proposal.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I raised this issue with customer support on October 19, 2020 and received only a standard update from **Edited for Community Guidelines**, who told me that “my issue seems more complex; hence, she escalated it to the “Technical Support Team”.

I wrote back on October 22, 2020 with more cases evidencing the issue hoping to receive a more substantiated update within 24- or 48-hours given the severity of the issue.

You can imagine my surprise when I only received another boilerplate template reply stating that “The issue is still being reviewed by our Technical Support Group. There is currently no projected resolution date.” And there’s been no change ever since.

Really? An issue, based on which freelancers are not able to effectively respond to invites and submit proposals to prospective clients, has no priority at UpWork? I guess, you guys over at UpWork are just too busy working on some new feature - like your Project Catalogue - that would help me reach clients more effectively and make better use of my time. I hope any admins or moderators listening-in on these message threads catch the irony of this statement. I mean the whole issue and how it’s handled just begs the question whether UpWork now completely dropped the ball or whether they’re just showing me the finger.

Over the last couple of months, UpWork seems to have embarked on some rather bizarre and desperate marketing initiatives (e.g. Direct Contracts, Project Catalogue), while even some of the platform’s core functions have been plagued by bugs and various other technical shortcomings.

So, “hello UpWork. In case you’re listening. You want to help me reach clients more effectively and make better use of my time? Please make sure that the proposals I submit to prospective clients actually reach them and can be reviewed by them”. I know it’s a radical thought, but maybe you consider it anyway.

In addition, are there other freelancers out there, who experienced similar issues?

Hi Karl,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. The team will continue assisting you on this support ticket, but for now, we don't have the exact date when this is going to be resolved.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I thought this might be a widerspread problem, which makes UW's easy-going approach about resolving it even more disconcerting. I have worked with similar platforms on various different ocasions before; hence, I know that resolving such a fundamental issue won't take a week- if one wanted to resolve it earlier.

And just for clarification, yes, I was talking about the cover letter as well, which, to my knowledge reflects the key elements of a proposal, especially, if no separate questions have been asked.

Not sure working on UpWork is worth my time anymore.

K.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths