🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Cover letter suggestion - to get job
Page options
codersaiful_com
Community Member

Cover letter suggestion - to get job

First I would like to say: this suggestion is totally my opinion based on my freelancing experience.

Try to write  your cover letter in shortly and simply describe: how you will the job. No need extra information - which is not included on job required skill/task.

Everybody share your own opinion/suggestion, which can be helpful for new Freelancer.

Thanks

~ Saiful, Upwork Freelancer
Be honest, works will looking for you.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
snette
Community Member

How would you address a client by name? Afaik - maybe I missed that somewhere - the name of the client is not exposed.

I think that cover letters are important but it starts 2-3 steps earlier.

1. Profiles.

New freelancers need to read the "Want to get that first job" forum topic.

That will help to set up a good profile.

2. Evaluating job offers

They need to read the "Job warning signs" topic. 

That will rule out many of the job offers on Upwork and they are less likely to get scamed/exploited or to waste their connects. And don't spend all your connects in a single day. If you spend all your connects today, what will you do if the right job for you happens to be posted tomorrow?

3. Know how much you need to earn and how much your work is worth.

That rules 50%+ of the job offers out. Many jobs are not worth applying for.

If new freelancers apply for a $ 10 bucks full time fixed price contract or undercut budgets just out of desperation, then they are bound to fail.

And then the cover letters come.

1. Actually read and understand the job description.

2. Never apply to jobs when you are not 100% certain that you can successfully finish them.

- A client that is happy with your work, will not only leave you great feedback but chances are to get hired again!

3. Refer to the job description. Show them that you read it. Tell them how you will solve problems, how long the job will take you, maybe mention a similiar project that you worked on before. Just talk more about the job than about yourself. If they want to know about you, they can read your profile or interview you.

4. Try to ask at least 1 question in the cover letter. (Unless additional questions are listed for that job)

5. Answer the additional questions.

- When I first applied to a job here, I thought the additional question were set up by Upwork and not by the client. I can imagine that some people get that impression too and leave those empty or just enter some gibberish to proceed.

6. Never ever use a cover letter that you found online. Even when your english might not be good enough to express yourself. Those cover letters will neither cover the job description nor will you get the clients attention because 20 other people who proposed to the same job are using the same coverletter. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
zamiruddin
Community Member

your application should be very to the point and simple. addressing the client by name will help. know something about the hiring agency, visit their website, explore their erlier job history, feedback and percentage of hiring against job posting. 

Zamir Uddin

I want to adress my client with their name company or name of clients, but i don't see their name in any page, how could I adrestheir names

Check their previous jobs. you would find client's name in reviews given by freelancers.

snette
Community Member

How would you address a client by name? Afaik - maybe I missed that somewhere - the name of the client is not exposed.

I think that cover letters are important but it starts 2-3 steps earlier.

1. Profiles.

New freelancers need to read the "Want to get that first job" forum topic.

That will help to set up a good profile.

2. Evaluating job offers

They need to read the "Job warning signs" topic. 

That will rule out many of the job offers on Upwork and they are less likely to get scamed/exploited or to waste their connects. And don't spend all your connects in a single day. If you spend all your connects today, what will you do if the right job for you happens to be posted tomorrow?

3. Know how much you need to earn and how much your work is worth.

That rules 50%+ of the job offers out. Many jobs are not worth applying for.

If new freelancers apply for a $ 10 bucks full time fixed price contract or undercut budgets just out of desperation, then they are bound to fail.

And then the cover letters come.

1. Actually read and understand the job description.

2. Never apply to jobs when you are not 100% certain that you can successfully finish them.

- A client that is happy with your work, will not only leave you great feedback but chances are to get hired again!

3. Refer to the job description. Show them that you read it. Tell them how you will solve problems, how long the job will take you, maybe mention a similiar project that you worked on before. Just talk more about the job than about yourself. If they want to know about you, they can read your profile or interview you.

4. Try to ask at least 1 question in the cover letter. (Unless additional questions are listed for that job)

5. Answer the additional questions.

- When I first applied to a job here, I thought the additional question were set up by Upwork and not by the client. I can imagine that some people get that impression too and leave those empty or just enter some gibberish to proceed.

6. Never ever use a cover letter that you found online. Even when your english might not be good enough to express yourself. Those cover letters will neither cover the job description nor will you get the clients attention because 20 other people who proposed to the same job are using the same coverletter. 

Dear Sebastian N,

Your description and reply is so detail oriented. so nice.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Sebastian,
thanks for an excellent reply. I agree with you that, the client name is not exposed in the platform. but you can find it using a little trick. You'll find their names in their past job history. it works for me most of the times 🙂
Zamir Uddin

I tell them that I'm a pirate here to plunder their village and steal their booty. The bigger the booty the better.

babzward
Community Member

@Jennifer M wrote:

I tell them that I'm a pirate here to plunder their village and steal their booty. The bigger the booty the better.

Jennifer, I thought you should know that I adore your posts. Almost always. Bahaha.
- Barbara Herrera -

"How would you address a client by name?  Afaik - maybe I missed that somewhere - the name of the client is not exposed."Just a bit of digging (though it's not too much of a biggie for me...

E.g., look in the work history: "Horatio was a great client", etc

Of course there's a balance- you don't want to look like a stalker...

Hey Featured contributor: Jennifer,

You are welcome, I have ready your many post, these are nice. And thanks a lot for commenting to my post. I am really lucky.

Thanks

Hey Zamir, your tricks are so nice and creative. Thanks for your nice tricks. I appreciate it.

Thanks for comment to my post. 

amasump
Community Member

Thanks!  (y)

codersaiful_com
Community Member

Finally Thanks to all for commenting to my post.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths