Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover letters and messages insufficient view space

antonova
Ace Contributor
Jana A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 8

Hello, 

Upwork always encourages us how important are the cover letters and the communication with the clients. 
May you provide us space to be able to check what we write, please? 

3 visible lines in the cover letters message boxes are really insufficient to be able to write, check and edit the text. I find myself scrolling constantly and making mistakes when writing line by line to see what I wrote. It's really inconvenient and a big challenge for such a simple action.

The same for the messages vertical spacing, where we check the briefs and communication from the clients. I have multiple missing of the full scope of the client's brief and often miss a task because I see only a small amount of the brief in this narrow window. The name of the client, "View contract" and the day of the week are occupying a big part of the screen, so there is no space for the most important: the client's requirements.

Please improve the interface for the most important part of the communication with the clients. 
I already sent this to the help and support half a year ago, but I don't see improvement.

gaspardjack
Community Leader
Mohammed G Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8
Regarding the cover letter, you can grab the bottom right corner to increase the size of the box

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

Or do your writing in an external text editor. Which is safer anyway.

antonova
Ace Contributor
Jana A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
4 of 8

Thank you very much, this really helps!

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
5 of 8

Is it that important to write a long cover letter? I've always thought it best to keep it to three or four lines (laptop screen), seeing that I often include work samples for the client to view as well.

kinector
Community Guru
Mikko R Member Since: Dec 26, 2015
6 of 8

Robert Y wrote:

Is it that important to write a long cover letter? I've always thought it best to keep it to three or four lines (laptop screen), seeing that I often include work samples for the client to view as well.

Robert, it depends. Nobody will hire anyone because the proposal is the shortest or the longest one in the list of proposals. 😉

It matters that you pull the right string to attract the client.

Some just want simple stuff done, so 1-2 examples and a short but convincing message will probably do.

Some have extremely detailed requirements for very complicated jobs and expect detailed responses in return.

Some people even include highly elaborate (trick) questions in the job post just to test your intellect and assess your qualifications very quickly.

It's completely case-specific and client-specific. That's the whole purpose of having a proposal process. 😁

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

re: "Is it that important to write a long cover letter?"

Good point.

in my opinion:

A short succinct cover letter is typically more likely to be successful than a long word wall.

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
8 of 8

To Mikko and Preston: Thank you both for your replies. I'm inclined to think the default method should be a short proposal, unless there are specific questions to which the client requires replies. When I look at the number of proposals already received for some jobs (often 20 plus), I know I'd better not be long-winded if I want the client to read mine all the way through.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS