🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Cover letters and messages insufficient v...
Page options
antonova
Community Member

Cover letters and messages insufficient view space

Hello, 

Upwork always encourages us how important are the cover letters and communication with the clients. 
Please improve the interface for the most important part of the communication with the clients. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gaspardjack
Community Member

Regarding the cover letter, you can grab the bottom right corner to increase the size of the box

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gaspardjack
Community Member

Regarding the cover letter, you can grab the bottom right corner to increase the size of the box

Or do your writing in an external text editor. Which is safer anyway.

roberty1y
Community Member

Is it that important to write a long cover letter? I've always thought it best to keep it to three or four lines (laptop screen), seeing that I often include work samples for the client to view as well.

Robert Y wrote:

Is it that important to write a long cover letter? I've always thought it best to keep it to three or four lines (laptop screen), seeing that I often include work samples for the client to view as well.

Robert, it depends. Nobody will hire anyone because the proposal is the shortest or the longest one in the list of proposals. 😉

It matters that you pull the right string to attract the client.

Some just want simple stuff done, so 1-2 examples and a short but convincing message will probably do.

Some have extremely detailed requirements for very complicated jobs and expect detailed responses in return.

Some people even include highly elaborate (trick) questions in the job post just to test your intellect and assess your qualifications very quickly.

It's completely case-specific and client-specific. That's the whole purpose of having a proposal process. 😁

re: "Is it that important to write a long cover letter?"

Good point.

in my opinion:

A short succinct cover letter is typically more likely to be successful than a long word wall.

roberty1y
Community Member

To Mikko and Preston: Thank you both for your replies. I'm inclined to think the default method should be a short proposal, unless there are specific questions to which the client requires replies. When I look at the number of proposals already received for some jobs (often 20 plus), I know I'd better not be long-winded if I want the client to read mine all the way through.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths