🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Create Google My Business as Client accep...
Page options
antonynaude
Community Member

Create Google My Business as Client acceptance test - scam?

I applied for a job now the client want me to create 3x My Business on Google as part of the "acceptance test, i.e. if I can create 3, then I asm hired, so fishy.

9 REPLIES 9
penngrp
Community Member

Charge them for the test. End of discussion.

No, it's a scam and a violation of Upwork's terms of service. Even if someone is willing to pay for this (and they probably won't), that doesn't make it okay.

22cfa582
Community Member

Hi, did you ever get paid for this? I have a prospct client asking me to do the same

sethverley
Community Member

I just got someone replying to my proposal with this same situation. Another upwork community post "https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Is-quot-Service-Area-Verification-quot-a-scam/m-p/860366... said it violates google's TOS and therefore upwork's TOS, I reported their DMs and job posting and blocked them. So I hope it really was a scam because the posting was offering good money lol.

216b1282
Community Member

A community manager needs to speak on this because we wouldn't want to violate Google nor Upwork's TOS. 
We need more clarity on this issue. Thank you 

Because the offer was too good to pass up, yet I had to decline the offer. 

Offers that are too good to be true are always scams. The scammer wants you to create accounts under your own name so that they can run shady businesses and have you take the blame, perhaps even have the police show up at your door. It's not just a terms of service violation, it's a bad idea to get involved in schemes like that.

Hi Toluwani,

We certainly understand your concern and it's totally understandable that this kind of issue should be clarified. Christine is correct! This is not allowed because anything that violates another website’s Terms of Service is also a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

We would appreciate your cooperation if you let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
6f11dd3a
Community Member

Just received a job offer to do this same exact thing, Im glad I did my research

I was offered this type of job and happily found this post within the platform, since it seems to be a type of little-known scam.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths