🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Creative work on fixed price contracts, how t...
Page options
anya_kyrychenko
Community Member

Creative work on fixed price contracts, how to approve amount of work?

Hello community! 
I was faced with this situation:
I took fixed price contract. Before taking an offer we discussed, that I will need to make design for 2 plates, napkin, and cup. After I accepted an offer for this job we discussed, that I will draw four characters, I made a sketch of them and client approved it. I drew first character - client approved the style, said she like it. 
Then I finalized all 4 characters. After that, client was thinking for about a week and that said she decided to make design without characters at all... 

So it comes out I spent all this time drawing the design and now I need to start from the beginning. 
Is it normal practice on fixed contracts for creative professions? 
If no - how should I discuss work to avoid this?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Hanna K wrote:

So it comes out I spent all this time drawing the design and now I need to start from the beginning. 
Is it normal practice on fixed contracts for creative professions? 
If no - how should I discuss work to avoid this?

You say to the client: "Yes, that is a great idea, let's do that.  My price for this new design is "$ XXX - once you have released the milestone for the completed design I'll get started on the new one!"

Thanks Petra!

Is it normal that we approved sketches and style after I accepted an offer for this job? 
I was afraid that I had to do this before I accepted the offer, and now I need to make as much versions of design as client will ask. 

Hanna K wrote:

Thanks Petra!

Is it normal that we approved sketches and style after I accepted an offer for this job? 
I was afraid that I had to do this before I accepted the offer, and now I need to make as much versions of design as client will ask. 

What is "normal" is what you specify and clarify before you start the contract. How many versions did you specify you'll create in advance?

If you "were afraid" of this, why did you not spell it out in detail before accepting the contract?

Sorry for misunderstanding, I'm afraid now, without "was". I didn't specify amount of versions before I accepted the contract. We only specified how many designs will be in result. 

If the project specifically states it's for a plate, cup, etc., then those are the deliverables. No, it's not okay for the client to request an entirely new set of items. She needs to pay you for these deliverables, which were created as specified, then open a new job for the new image.

ETA: Sorry, I see you said it was after you accepted the project that you discussed the actual images. All you can really do is politely state that you have delivered what you originally discussed, and that if she'd like a new project, please send an offer. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members