Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit and Background Checks

m_whitson
Michelle W Member Since: Jul 31, 2017
1 of 13

Hey, Fellow Freelancers! 

I'm in my second week of working with a new Client, and out of the blue, she says,

"...that made me realize though that we did not do a credit and background check and I usually do that on all that work with me! Are you ok with that? I need your social, birth date, address. It emails you to make sure it is ok. It may say renter check but it does that same thing as background and credit."

If this is something that she usually does, then why is she just mentioning it? A background check I understand, even though I'm not working with any financial or confidential information, but a credit check? Why?

I'm not sure why this makes me so uneasy. Maybe because I've been a victim of identity theft a time or two. What are your thoughts?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 13

Are you accessing her accounts? Using her credit cards? Working with sensitive data like patient information?

If not...no. 

Could be an identify theft scheme, could just be unnecessary intrusiveness, but I wouldn't cooperate.

And, I think it's suspect that she does this with "everyone she works with," yet doesn't have a screening process that correctly identifies what she's doing. Maybe that's because she's doing something shady. Maybe it's because the information an employer can request is more restrictive than that a potential landlord can request. Maybe she is just--as my 21-year-old daughter would say "Shady AF"

Honestly, I'd be rethinking working with her at all.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 13

Hi Michelle, 

This is an unusual request and one we don't recommend meeting. Clients normally don't need this information. 

Sharing your personal information is not something you should provide, so please tread lightly. 

Please check the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I'll go ahead and review this with the team so that actions can be taken against the client if they deem necessary. 

UPDATE: Michelle, I went ahead and checked your account but wasn't sure which client you were referring to. Did you communicate outside of Upwork? Could you please send screen grabs of your conversation with this client via a private message so that I can go ahead and send this to the team for their review. 

~ Avery
Upwork
m_whitson
Michelle W Member Since: Jul 31, 2017
4 of 13

I'm referring to my current, active Client (contract started 10/26). And yes, I have been communicating outside of Upwork (sorry about that!).

I have attached a screenshot of the request, and I was also concerned because after completing my first week of work, she said she prefers to pay me monthly, which is not something we discussed prior to my being hired AND she wants me to invoice her monthly. This is becoming a nightmare!

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
5 of 13

ETA: I'm sorry, folks. I see this was already handled. Michelle, glad you asked this question instead of proceeding. 🙂

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
6 of 13

What is this about "invoicing" her? There is no "invoicing" on UpWork. There is only fixed payment or TimeTracker.

Sounds like a scam of some kind. Is she trying to pay you off-platform, by chance? If so, RUN, RUN, RUN!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 13

Is this hourly or fixed price? Cuz she can't control it either way. With escrow, she's making a deposit. With hourly, the system is set to charge her every monday for hours worked the previous week.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 13

@Michelle W wrote:

I'm referring to my current, active Client (contract started 10/26). And yes, I have been communicating outside of Upwork (sorry about that!).

I have attached a screenshot of the request, and I was also concerned because after completing my first week of work, she said she prefers to pay me monthly, which is not something we discussed prior to my being hired AND she wants me to invoice her monthly. This is becoming a nightmare!

Michelle = Is this a fixed rate job? Then the requirements/scope of work, milestones, and payments into escrow for each milestone should have been made BEFORE you started work. What were the terms that you stated for the job in your proposal? Did both of you have an interview or discussion before you accepted the offer and were those terms changed via a discussion after you accepted? 

(it's ok to establish communication offsite. Just make sure you copy the content of those discussions should a dispute arrise. ) Payment though, MUST be made onsite.

If this was an hourly job, then she has no control over how it's paid. Each monday you are paid automatically from her account for the week before. 

03728dd7
Admin V Member Since: Jun 28, 2020
9 of 13

Hello. This is an old thread but we have a similar question from a Client's perspective. 

We have identified a candidate that we'd like to hire, and we are interested in performing a criminal and credit check. 

We intend to go through a dedicated third party so the candidate doesn't need to submit their personal details to us. 

Is there a process where we can egage with the candidate to do this safely for both parties? 

Thanks

Tony

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
10 of 13

Hi Admin,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS