🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Cryptocurrency job invite?
Page options
kbadeau
Community Member

Cryptocurrency job invite?

I'm a graphic designer, not a cryptocurrency assistant. He sent out 180 invites. Flag or ignore?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

I like to maximize my "responsiveness" score.

So I do not ignore any invites.

I either decline the invite... or I accept the invitation to discuss the project further.

If I am absolutely certain that a job invitation violates Upwork ToS, and I know specifically what rule is being violated, then I will flag it as inappropriate. If it the job is simply something that isn't a good fit for my interests or skills, or if I think it is suspicious or dodgey for some reason, then I will decline it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.05.43 AM.png

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

I'm a graphic designer, not a cryptocurrency assistant. He sent out 180 invites. Flag or ignore?

Flag for what?

Edited to add: Not everything to do with cryptocurrency is dodgy but of course the 180 invites are a bit of a red flag and there are a lot of cryptocurrency scams around.

What you described (which is very little) does not make it a scam and unless there is any evidence that something is violating the terms, there is little point flagging it.

prestonhunter
Community Member

I like to maximize my "responsiveness" score.

So I do not ignore any invites.

I either decline the invite... or I accept the invitation to discuss the project further.

If I am absolutely certain that a job invitation violates Upwork ToS, and I know specifically what rule is being violated, then I will flag it as inappropriate. If it the job is simply something that isn't a good fit for my interests or skills, or if I think it is suspicious or dodgey for some reason, then I will decline it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.05.43 AM.png

Sorry, I didn't mean ignore. Decline. I too like to respond to every invite.

I didn't give a lot of detail just because I thought if it were super common you wouldn't need details, and don't need to share too much info if it's legit but just a bad fit.

Thanks y'all!

florydev
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean ignore. Decline. I too like to respond to every invite.

I didn't give a lot of detail just because I thought if it were super common you wouldn't need details, and don't need to share too much info if it's legit but just a bad fit.

Thanks y'all!

I would just decline and let someone with more knowledge about crypto flag it.

lysis10
Community Member

Respond and see if they want to pay you and you buy and send them crypto. If that's the case, then yeah it's a scam.

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Respond and see if they want to pay you and you buy and send them crypto. If that's the case, then yeah it's a scam.

Just keep messaging with them forever, record all of it, and then publish it as a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dot-Con-The-Scamming-Scammer/dp/184949651X/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?imprToken=.Elg...

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Just keep messaging with them forever, record all of it, and then publish it as a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dot-Con-The-Scamming-Scammer/dp/184949651X/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?imprToken=.Elg...

I would actually like to read that but no kindle version makes the baby jesus cry.

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I would actually like to read that but no kindle version makes the baby jesus cry.

Holy sheep.  I am mortified for this guy.

I would be surprised if you haven't seen this before, been around forever.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-phishing-scam-emails-dot-con-james-veitch/?utm_source=google&utm_me...

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Holy sheep.  I am mortified for this guy.

I would be surprised if you haven't seen this before, been around forever.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-phishing-scam-emails-dot-con-james-veitch/?utm_source=google&utm_me...

ha! yeah I used to read the 411 eater site. Some of the convos with these people are funny. I got one to come out of his script and posted my conversation with him on reddit. He got so mad at me after like 3 days. I told him the teller at the bank kept holding the payment hostage and he told me to stop talking to tellers and he finally snapped when he didn't get giftcards out of me. Good times.

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

sed to read the 411 eater site. Some of the convos with these people are funny. I got one to come out of his script and posted my conversation with him on reddit. He got so mad at me after like 3 days. I told him the teller at the bank kept holding the payment hostage and he told me to stop talking to tellers and he finally snapped when he didn't get giftcards out of me. Good times.

Did he ask about the Bobs?

yitwail
Community Member

I don't think it's a violation not to flag a job you're invited to. You already spend time having to look at it and decline it without having to investigate it to determine if it's a scam. But I haven't gone through the ToS looking for a ruling on it, so this is just a guess.

Perhaps this is a "dumb" question, but are clients permitted to send 180 invites???

That seems excessive. 

Miriam H wrote:

Perhaps this is a "dumb" question, but are clients permitted to send 180 invites???

That seems excessive. 

It does at first glance, but could be innocent.

Only Enterprise clients can send unlimited invites to that many freelancers at once, that would mean it's a big client with significant spending and lots of hires in the past.

It "could" be a job the (normal / non enterprise) client keeps hiring for, and (theoretically) "could" have been open for months or years and the client just keeps inviting and hiring.

Petra R wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

That seems excessive. 

Only Enterprise clients can send unlimited invites to that many freelancers at once, that would mean it's a big client with significant spending and lots of hires in the past.

It "could" be a job the (normal / non enterprise) client keeps hiring for, and (theoretically) "could" have been open for months or years and the client just keeps inviting and hiring.

That makes sense. I do wish the data on "interviews" and "invites" were managed a bit differently. 

Even if an enterprise client can send 180, that seems really crazy.  I would love to better understand the data on the client side 🙂

kbadeau
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

That seems excessive. 

Not an enterprise client; seems to be his first posted job. Googling his name makes him seem legit, or a great guy to emulate if you want to scam people I guess. I just declined and moved on.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths