Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Cryptocurrency job invite?

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
1 of 16

I'm a graphic designer, not a cryptocurrency assistant. He sent out 180 invites. Flag or ignore?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 16

Kelly B wrote:

I'm a graphic designer, not a cryptocurrency assistant. He sent out 180 invites. Flag or ignore?


Flag for what?

 

Edited to add: Not everything to do with cryptocurrency is dodgy but of course the 180 invites are a bit of a red flag and there are a lot of cryptocurrency scams around.

 

What you described (which is very little) does not make it a scam and unless there is any evidence that something is violating the terms, there is little point flagging it.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 16

I like to maximize my "responsiveness" score.

 

So I do not ignore any invites.

 

I either decline the invite... or I accept the invitation to discuss the project further.

 

If I am absolutely certain that a job invitation violates Upwork ToS, and I know specifically what rule is being violated, then I will flag it as inappropriate. If it the job is simply something that isn't a good fit for my interests or skills, or if I think it is suspicious or dodgey for some reason, then I will decline it.

 

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 10.05.43 AM.png

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
4 of 16

Sorry, I didn't mean ignore. Decline. I too like to respond to every invite.

 

I didn't give a lot of detail just because I thought if it were super common you wouldn't need details, and don't need to share too much info if it's legit but just a bad fit.

 

Thanks y'all!

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
5 of 16

Kelly B wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean ignore. Decline. I too like to respond to every invite.

 

I didn't give a lot of detail just because I thought if it were super common you wouldn't need details, and don't need to share too much info if it's legit but just a bad fit.

 

Thanks y'all!


I would just decline and let someone with more knowledge about crypto flag it.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 16

Respond and see if they want to pay you and you buy and send them crypto. If that's the case, then yeah it's a scam.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
7 of 16

Jennifer M wrote:

Respond and see if they want to pay you and you buy and send them crypto. If that's the case, then yeah it's a scam.


Just keep messaging with them forever, record all of it, and then publish it as a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dot-Con-The-Scamming-Scammer/dp/184949651X/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?imprToken=.Elg...

 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 16

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Respond and see if they want to pay you and you buy and send them crypto. If that's the case, then yeah it's a scam.


Just keep messaging with them forever, record all of it, and then publish it as a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dot-Con-The-Scamming-Scammer/dp/184949651X/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?imprToken=.Elg...

 


I would actually like to read that but no kindle version makes the baby jesus cry.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
9 of 16

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Respond and see if they want to pay you and you buy and send them crypto. If that's the case, then yeah it's a scam.


Just keep messaging with them forever, record all of it, and then publish it as a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dot-Con-The-Scamming-Scammer/dp/184949651X/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?imprToken=.Elg...

 


I would actually like to read that but no kindle version makes the baby jesus cry.


Holy sheep.  I am mortified for this guy.

 

I would be surprised if you haven't seen this before, been around forever.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-phishing-scam-emails-dot-con-james-veitch/?utm_source=google&utm_me...

 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 16

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Respond and see if they want to pay you and you buy and send them crypto. If that's the case, then yeah it's a scam.


Just keep messaging with them forever, record all of it, and then publish it as a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Dot-Con-The-Scamming-Scammer/dp/184949651X/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?imprToken=.Elg...

 


I would actually like to read that but no kindle version makes the baby jesus cry.


Holy sheep.  I am mortified for this guy.

 

I would be surprised if you haven't seen this before, been around forever.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-phishing-scam-emails-dot-con-james-veitch/?utm_source=google&utm_me...

 


ha! yeah I used to read the 411 eater site. Some of the convos with these people are funny. I got one to come out of his script and posted my conversation with him on reddit. He got so mad at me after like 3 days. I told him the teller at the bank kept holding the payment hostage and he told me to stop talking to tellers and he finally snapped when he didn't get giftcards out of me. Good times.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS