🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Curious - Freelancer Focus Groups
Page options
m_sharman
Community Member

Curious - Freelancer Focus Groups

Hi there,

I know from time to time Upwork sends out surveys and I know they read these forums, but for some of the more tenured members has Upwork ever conducted a focus group with multiple Freelancers participating at the same time?

I worked in the entertainment industry for many years and qualtative research was a big part of what we did to understand consumer behavior, etc.  Tech companies today are such big fans of surveys and "data," they miss the bigger picture.

Freelancers, and clients, when you cut out some of the frustration, offer a lot of in the trenches experienece and advice that if constructively discussed would benefit the platform.

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I know from time to time Upwork sends out surveys and I know they read these forums, but for some of the more tenured members has Upwork ever conducted a focus group with multiple Freelancers participating at the same time?"

Yes.

Upwork does that.

Many of the regular Forum participants have been part of these focus groups.

But there are also experienced freelancers who are NOT Forum participants who are part of the focus groups.

Preston H wrote:

re: "I know from time to time Upwork sends out surveys and I know they read these forums, but for some of the more tenured members has Upwork ever conducted a focus group with multiple Freelancers participating at the same time?"

Yes.

Upwork does that.

Many of the regular Forum participants have been part of these focus groups.

But there are also experienced freelancers who are NOT Forum participants who are part of the focus groups.

Are these groups moderated in real time? Or are the FL's interviewed separately? If the latter, you lose the group discussion that can be so valuable in focus groups.

Miriam H wrote:

articipants who are part of the focus groups.

Are these groups moderated in real time? Or are the FL's interviewed separately? If the latter, you lose the group discussion that can be so valuable in focus groups.

You will not get people to answer detailed questions like this because anyone who participates signs NDAs but Upwork do know what they are doing when it comes to focus group discussions.

Petra R wrote:

Miriam H wrote:

articipants who are part of the focus groups.

You will not get people to answer detailed questions like this because anyone who participates signs NDAs but Upwork do know what they are doing when it comes to focus group discussions.

got it...thanks Preston and Petra!

And Miriam:

Upwork has also been very open about the fact that their paid employees monitor the Community Form.

Not only do they participate (often), but they also report topics and concerns to Upwork management.

Upwork does not make every change suggested in the Forum, and some of the changes it does make take time, but this Forum is a very real way that Upwork listens to its users and effects change.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths